News   Aug 23, 2024
 1.6K     4 
News   Aug 23, 2024
 534     0 

Compact Gas Station Design for an Urban Landscape

emphurent

Member Bio
Reaction score
As someone who doesn't drive much and prefers transit, I find the large gas stations downtown to be quite scary to walk by due to the traffic. They serve a vital purpose with their convenience stores, but they take up way too much space for their purpose.

With all the downtown stations (rightfully) being redeveloped, I was wondering when we'd start seeing "urban" compact style stations (especially from the gas giants). While not exactly streetside like in Paris, 132 Harbord (which was an old auto repair station) will soon be home to one of the city's first compact gas stations. It's about a third of the size of the average downtown stations but still features the same amenities. While still not perfect (could use some landscaping), it's a step in the right direction for how we should be thinking about gas stations, I just hope this doesn't suddenly inspire 50 to pop up on prime development land.

I would appreciate if anyone wants to chip in with other compact examples from this city or any other city that should serve as a model.

(Source)
1624070361033.png

fillez 2.jpg
There are certainly precedents for minimalist gas stations, but I would think this through a little.

First, what codes or safety margins are being eroded? Gasoline has environmental and fire safety issues. Squeezing gas stations into a smaller footprint may not be good for the neighbours.

Second, what volume of vehicular traffic is contemplated? Do we want a queue to form on the street? (no doubt blocking the bike lane, by the way...) Will left- and right-side gas cap vehicles have sufficient clearances to coexist with each other? Are we prohibiting larger vehicles? How do we deliver gas in highway-trailer volume when the delivery truck won't fit on the lot?

Third, gas stations need to serve as convenience stores to run in the black.... are we forcing a change to that?

It seems to me that in downtown areas, land prices are the self-regulating feature that will make gas stations smaller over time. We don't need to force the design, it will happen naturally. The other trend that will help is e-cars... if there are enough charging stations available in parking areas, people won't ever need a gas station at all.

I'm not convinced that the current number and placement of gas stations in this city is a problem. Sure, there are some, and they may create very local problems, but there aren't all that many.

We are densifying the downtown at such a rate that even if we can convince half the residents to not own cars, the growth in density will bring more cars than we have now.... meaning we will need to pump more gas. Tweaking gas stations for its own sake is disfunctional.... there has to be an alignment of vehicular numbers, parking spaces, and gas stations (and repair shops). Automobile use in the central city is the dog, gas station placement and size is only the tail.

- Paul

Last edited:
Setting aside the argument that will be made by some that they should all be closed down, I'm not sure a good percentage of drivers could navigate that small footprint. I agree with your points about different sides for fueling and the potential for queues out on the street. A small plot like that looks like it will have small ground tanks, suggesting more supply trucks on the side street.

As for the foreign example, in our terms, it must be a regulation-free zone. I wonder where the tanks are.

^The previous photo is from central Paris. There are numerous gas stations of that size there. I can't imagine living so close to wherever the gas is stored.

A quick bit of Google Maps searching says that service stations in central Amsterdam - that urbanist paradise that everyone refers to when passing judgement on our cityscape - look pretty much like our larger gas stations. And there are plenty of them.

Those expansive service stations are pretty good design, IMHO. They centralise a high volume of gasoline storage and handling in a single location (a case where one big is better than two or three small). Their spaciousness enhances vehicular flow, and adds off-street waiting capacity for high demand situations. The large setbacks offer some margin of safety and environmental protection. I would bet that one large paved station is less paved surface area than three small stations, thus better in terms of runoff etc. And probably cheaper to build one large vs three small especially given today's codes. Possibly better sightlines for vehicles entering and exiting.

IMHO We need to confront our dissatisfaction with automobile culture head on, rather than just creating nuisances. I can easily get behind an automobile exclusion policy where we simply say that cars aren't welcome, or are granted only restricted access, in our most dense areas. I have a harder time with creating subtle inconveniences that penalise those who continue to drive. The elbows and dirty hits in the corners are what creates resistance to change and reinforces the perception that there is a "secret war on the car". If we are going to allow cars in the central city, then we need to accept the infrastructure to support them. Big service stations may be the better way, until we downsize our automotive appetite.

- Paul

Have to do double takes when passing that new station on Harbord. It's just so unreal. Looks modern, but the footprint is straight out of the 50s. Really don't see them like that anymore, but I guess we do now. Which is great since it's a true urban gas station. F350s aren't their market share. Also I had a gas station first last week, while filling up fuel spraying out of the hose where it meets the nozzle. The attendant seemed reluctant to shut down the pump when I berated him.

Back