News   Oct 18, 2024
 531     2 
News   Oct 17, 2024
 1.2K     1 

Commerce Court West

khris

Member Bio
Reaction score
I was curious... when did they add this lighting to the lobby? It looks awesome at night.

3302258034_0cd369c02e_b.jpg

Source

Last edited:
It wasn't lit like that last year during Nuit Blanche so presumably sometime after that.

It wasn't lit like that last year during Nuit Blanche so presumably sometime after that.

I would say it was added aboiut 18 months ago when the CIBC moved the non-public offices (in cubicles) from the main floor and opened it all up. Though I quite like the lighting, the space is rather wasted but unless they moved up the cashiers I do not really see how it could be used.

Wasted space? I don't know... I quite like the emptiness of it. A few seats would look good. So would replacing the floor with something a bit more modern and less TTC like. CIBC's logo could also use an update.

Back in the late 80s there were tellers along the east and west sides of the lobby, close to the windows. When the number of tellers was reduced and they all moved downstairs, some people in cubicles began using the lobby space -- a very ill-advised decision in my opinion. It looks clean and attractive now.

I think the logo was changed about four or five years ago. Given the high cost of changing a logo in such a large organization, I wouldn't expect another change soon.

Wasted space? I don't know... I quite like the emptiness of it. A few seats would look good. So would replacing the floor with something a bit more modern and less TTC like. CIBC's logo could also use an update.

I agree, the empty space is very clean and really fits the tower. FYI, there are seating areas along the east and west sides.

Noticed a lot of the windows on the west side have been covered for ages. G20 hangover?

That big empty space is technically wasted but it creates a sense of grandeur which is what a major bank like CIBC wants at their headquarters. That almost monumental strip of lighting which can change colours conveys a sense of power.

Anyway, I've always thought that CCW is under-appreciated. Perhaps it is one of the less original I.M. Pei towers, but the proportions are perfect and it compliments the TD Centre quite nicely. I wonder there are more quality Modernist spaces on the upper floors. It could be an interesting Doors Open location.

If they tried to reintroduce that, someone'd figure to call it the "upskirt"

Well, it sort of preempted the novelty of James Turrell's Bay-Adelaide installation...

That's cute..the innocence of youth.

That's what they want to achieve with those spaces; it's a continuation of the ideas seen in the banking halls of buildings like Commerce Court North, albeit with a modern design language. You and I can be sceptical when we see such displays, but you're naive if you think banks don't want to create that impression at their headquarters. Maybe you've bought into the cute, scribble logos and crappy suburban architecture of new branches and the big green leather chairs, but at King and Bay, it's another story.

Back