News   Apr 19, 2024
 234     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 915     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 8.4K     2 

College Park 444 Yonge/33 College/777 Bay (renovations, Canderel, ground levels, WZMH)

From June 1986, courtesy of Transit Toronto:

1580236133951.png

Completely forgot about the Foodland Ontario building on the northeast corner, sure looks very similar to Continental Can across the street (same architect?). Looks like that proposal was a demented homage to its original built form.

From June 1986, courtesy of Transit Toronto:

View attachment 227885

Completely forgot about the Foodland Ontario building on the northeast corner, sure looks very similar to Continental Can across the street (same architect?). Looks like that proposal was a demented homage to its original built form.

Was that building with the trillium on top demolished to build police HQ?

Not sure who the architects/designers are on the latest College Park reno work; but I'm tacking some info on here rather than start a new thread:

Entering College Park off Yonge (mid-block), the modern floor finishes have been removed and the original (in bad, patchy shape, revealed). I don't imagine they will try and restore it, Pity.

DSC09116.JPG

DSC09115.JPG

They're also, finally, 20 years late, at least, gutting the Food Court.

Hoarding w/Render:

DSC09117.JPG

Over the hoarding:

DSC09118.JPG

Last edited:
I wonder if the renovated food court will be less of a magnet for ne'er do wells ?

I wonder if the renovated food court will be less of a magnet for ne'er do wells ?

Anymore than the existing one? LOL

The barely open, never busy food court that Metro (is rumoured....ahem.........to have tried to lease out of existence........)...........

I won't jinx this by saying they can't do worse.......it is GWL after all................

But still........

Anymore than the existing one? LOL

The barely open, never busy food court that Metro (is rumoured....ahem.........to have tried to lease out of existence........)...........

I won't jinx this by saying they can't do worse.......it is GWL after all................

But still........
I do not know what you're talking about. It's always packed whenever I'm there (either to eat or just walking through).

I do not know what you're talking about. It's always packed whenever I'm there (either to eat or just walking through).

There have been a couple of vacant units for awhile.

Granted, I'm not likely to be there during weekday lunch hour (more likely mid-afternoon, or a weekend); but It's always seemed dead to me.

Tim Hortons (downstairs) is closed weekends/evenings with a sign directing you upstairs.

Also, GWL have left the Food Court with a seriously dated appearance for a generation.

Perhaps off hours, but during the workday, it's rammed. Lines to most of the vendors and few tables available. The appearance is stuck in the 90s, sure, but that could also be informed by a GWL calculus of 'well it's consistently packed, why would we put money into it?'...

Perhaps off hours, but during the workday, it's rammed. Lines to most of the vendors and few tables available. The appearance is stuck in the 90s, sure, but that could also be informed by a GWL calculus of 'well it's consistently packed, why would we put money into it?'...

Compared to Aura one building over, the food court is positively booming!

Not sure who the architects/designers are on the latest College Park reno work; but I'm taking some info on here rather than start a new thread:

Entering College Park off Yonge (mid-block), the modern floor finishes have been removed and the original (in bad, patchy shape, revealed). I don't imagine they will try and restore it, Pity.

It's truly a shame that the terrazzo floor won't be restored - I imagine it would had been pretty handsome back in those days (brass dividers that isn't common in most public terrazzo applications).

AoD

Is an interior that's respectful to the architecture of the building too much to ask for? I don't expect it to look as beautiful and sophisticated as the Carlu but they could at least make an effort. This is one of the grandest historic buildings in the city on our Main Street yet they put a 2022 style food court in there. I suppose we'll have to wait another 1-2 generations before the potential of this place is realized.

Well the first time I visited that food court was in 1985, so the current look is still kind of new to me! I also still remember the LCBO that used to be located where the Dollarama is now.

Back