News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.2K     2 

CN Tower gone from the skyline?

Build Up

Member Bio
Reaction score
Rising higher from the westend one hour ago:

dsc01235s.jpg

Take out the CN Tower and toronto's skyline could still beat out alot of other citys skyline. even without the core, this photo proves that. thx urbandreamer

This illustrates how the CN Tower really screws up the scale of things in Toronto. In that photo, RBC, Simcoe Place, CityPlace all look like tiny buildings.

haha i agree look at how small the royal york looks. its 130m, more than most cities have and it dosent even look like its there.

This illustrates how the CN Tower really screws up the scale of things in Toronto. In that photo, RBC, Simcoe Place, CityPlace all look like tiny buildings.

Indeed, it does diminish the apparent height of the rest of the downtown. It's a real eye-opener to see a good photo of downtown Toronto with the CN Tower photoshopped out. All of a sudden, the other buildings look a lot taller.

Re: CN Tower and skyline.
I actually think CN Tower (and Skydome) frames our skyline really well. I like how it pops up in almost every picture, and without it (like in jks's picture above), something just feels missing.

Last edited by a moderator:

I'm curious, is there any feasible way that the tower's height could be increased so that it could recapture its title as world's tallest? Apologies if this would just serve to further dwarf the surrounding buildings:D

Last edited by a moderator:
I've heard, and logically it should be possible, that the antenna height above the Skypod could be increased; though I read only to about 2000'. I doubt they have any plans to do this however, and stretching the CN Tower's height to match the Burj (2600') would be pretty damn difficult. It would also look ridiculous.

Nope, instead it looks like we'll have to build a new tallest.

The CN Tower is instantly recognizable as "Toronto'. I quite like it just the way it is, and where it is.
I mentioned in another thread that in a perfect world the repaired areas could be painted to more closely match the original concrete, but I'm dreaming. It looks a little messy up close.

I'm curious, is there any feasible way that the tower's height could be increased so that it could recapture its title as world's tallest? Apologies if this would just serve to further dwarf the surrounding buildings

Wikipedia says that there was a plan for Moscow's Ostankino Tower's height to be increased to 561m. Had that been successful it would have taken the world's tallest title at the time away from the CN Tower.

I believe a height increase for the CN Tower was the subject of an April Fool's article in the Star a few years back.

hey cool i made a thread without actually making a thread:D. btw who actually stole this from the maple leaf square thread??

Back