News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.7K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.2K     2 

City politics

khris

Member Bio
Reaction score
I'd like to suggest a city politics subforum. I think it would make a great addition to the forum, especially after the Rob Ford thread. A whole new type of Urban Toronto user was born from this thread, and clearly people are interested in talking about city politics.

I'd like to suggest a city politics subforum. I think it would make a great addition to the forum, especially after the Rob Ford thread. A whole new type of Urban Toronto user was born from this thread, and clearly people are interested in talking about city politics.
City politics can be its own sub-forum. Many things in Toronto Issues are political one way or another.

I suggest that it should be called Toronto City Hall Politics.

It would be a good opportunity to clean up the Toronto Issues forum. First, the Beer Store thread in Toronto Issues can be moved to the Retail forum as the Beer Store has more locations outside of Toronto than within Toronto and the Beer Store is a retailer owned by multinational companies, though the OP probably put the Beer Store thread in Toronto Issues as it is simply higher trafficked and appears earlier and may not realize the existence of the Retail forum.

We can go further and create various threads on the surrounding regional municipalities, such as the Peel Issues, the York Issues, and the Durham Issues subforums.

I agree, coming as a user who arrived to this forum to discuss transportation and infrastructure, and occasionally peaked in the construction forums to follow projects I liked, I was often surprised at the entirely different culture and userbase found in the "Mayor Rob Ford's Toronto" thread.

I think by offering these different experiences and discussions (Projects & Construction, Transportation & Infrastructure, Toronto City Hall Politics) you will foster different types of sub-communities and user-group interests on the forum that would attract new users to lurk and post in these sections. And since they are all interconnected Toronto issues anyway, once a new user is familiar with the forum, he or she will adventure out of his section and explore the other parts of the site as well, just as I had.

But I guess the real question is, how many people are still interested in discussing City Hall Politics on these forums now that the Ford saga is pretty much over? The /r/Toronto subreddit page and #TOpoli on twitter has related discussion adequately covered.

Wista, I must agree.

It would be great to have a Toronto City Hall Politics subforum within the Toronto Issues forum (and stuff such as Beer Store, Tim Hortons, Pan-Am Games, income inequality between neighbourhoods, and such would naturally not belong in that subforum). In the Toronto City Hall Politics subforum, the Rob Ford and John Tory threads can be stickied.

There is quite a large number of UT users who only post in the Rob Ford thread (and nowhere else), perhaps discovered this site from general interest social sites such as Facebook, Twitter, or Reddit, or from politics-specific sites such as Rabble.ca (and yes, there are quite a number of Wikipedians here as well interested in Toronto City Hall politics).

The /r/Toronto subreddit page and #TOpoli on twitter has related discussion adequately covered.
speaking as someone who frequently visits those social media hotspots, the level of discourse is arguably very poor on bofadem

i'm glad to see a UT city hall politics thread

speaking as someone who frequently visits those social media hotspots, the level of discourse is arguably very poor on bofadem

i'm glad to see a UT city hall politics thread
This is why I much prefer the discourse on UT. At least UT does not have kneejerk reactions and is much better moderated and I must thank the mods and admins here who worked tirelessly to keep discourse as non-toxic as possible. I just cannot stand toxic discourse. I also much prefer to read in-depth details and analysis (even if it comes one day late) and not up-to-the-second quick snippets.

I also like to maintain privacy (despite using my real name) as well.

Last edited:

Back