News   Mar 28, 2024
 164     0 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.8K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.2K     2 

Church-Wellesley Village

Looks like some restoration work is beginning on the row of Victorians at the NE corner of Church & Gloucester:

20200927_101625.jpg
20200927_101651.jpg

Reactions: ARB
A letter from Maura Lawless, Executive Director of The 519, and David Morris, Chair of The 519 Board of Management to Minister Morneau, Premier Ford, Ms. Suze Morrison MPP, and Mayor John Tory, seeking immediate government action to save Toronto's LGBTQ2S Village.

What makes businesses and services that serve sexual minorities so much more deserving of financial aid than anyone else? It's both laughable and insulting.

Dying gay ghettos started WAY before COVID. Bars have been closing all over the Western world at a dizzying pace because they no longer are financially viable due to changing tastes, values, and technology. The fact that the gay ghetto is dying is a reflection of all the positive gains made in the last 50 years. They no longer provide a "safe space" which they once did because the need for such a place no longer exists. There is only one group responsible for their demise and that's the gay population itself. These businesses are failing because they no longer provide a service that people want enough of.

As for wanting the government to bail them out, I can see assistance during COVID like everyone else is getting but after that, no way. Why should the taxpayer bail out a bar so people can continue to get liquored and watch drag? With an over crowded healthcare system, people living on the streets, and a fentanyl crisis, to even suggest such a thing is the height of irresponsibility.

I can’t recall if this is brand new or not, but the old CIBC branch at Church and Carlton is slated to become a Pi Co Pizza (http://www.pi-co.ca/locations-hours). I don’t know if there’s room for both Pi Co and Pizza Studio just steps apart. I love pizza but it would be nice to have other dining choices.

What makes businesses and services that serve sexual minorities so much more deserving of financial aid than anyone else? It's both laughable and insulting.

Dying gay ghettos started WAY before COVID. Bars have been closing all over the Western world at a dizzying pace because they no longer are financially viable due to changing tastes, values, and technology. The fact that the gay ghetto is dying is a reflection of all the positive gains made in the last 50 years. They no longer provide a "safe space" which they once did because the need for such a place no longer exists. There is only one group responsible for their demise and that's the gay population itself. These businesses are failing because they no longer provide a service that people want enough of.

As for wanting the government to bail them out, I can see assistance during COVID like everyone else is getting but after that, no way. Why should the taxpayer bail out a bar so people can continue to get liquored and watch drag? With an over crowded healthcare system, people living on the streets, and a fentanyl crisis, to even suggest such a thing is the height of irresponsibility.
Did you actually read their letter? It primarily adds their voice to others and states:

The 519 echoes the letter (dated: April 13, 2020) sent by the Ontario Business Improvement Area Association et al. to Ministers and calls on all levels of government to support the following:

(1) Commercial Rent Relief

(2) Interest Relief on Debt

(3) Financial Aid, Not Debt Referral

In alignment with many other BIAs, The 519 fully supports the suspension of commercial evictions. These evictions will undoubtedly drive commercial rental prices up, and give no small/medium business a chance of affording increased rental prices.

They then draw the government's attention to a (small) program in London (UK) which awarded $350,000 specifically aimed at the gay community. Since the 519 serves this community it seems reasonable that they should, at least, ask for something similar. here You may not think they should receive this, and that's your right.

The curbside patios are gone now, which is a bit of a shame since the forecast for the rest of the next week or so looks great. But I understand they had to come out before winter.

Also, there's been progress made inside the space beside Starbucks. It's a little hard to believe that they're pressing forward with a restaurant when so many are going under, but the bar & taps are in, and there's now a sign out front for The Well.

IMG_7577.JPG

As someone who’s gay, I find your insistence that gay villages no longer provide a safe space both laughable and insulting. Wanting to save the country’s largest city’s gay village does not preclude us from also tackling public housing or fentanyl deaths.

Also, while Drag isn’t my thing, it’s a valid art form and where else is it gonna happen if not The Village?

Whether OP is gay or straight, the post reeks of privilege.

Last edited:
Signage went up this week for a new ScotiaBank branch in the base of the Stanley condo at Church and Carlton.

Signage went up this week for a new ScotiaBank branch in the base of the Stanley condo at Church and Carlton.
I think it's been a while. Google streetview shows it was there back in October.
Still though, nothing worse than a bank branch on a street corner. Closed up and dead after 6 p.m. every day, if it even opens up on weekends at all.
Good thing the RBC kitty-corner is gone so we don't have a double dead corner.

I think it's been a while. Google streetview shows it was there back in October.
Still though, nothing worse than a bank branch on a street corner. Closed up and dead after 6 p.m. every day, if it even opens up on weekends at all.
Good thing the RBC kitty-corner is gone so we don't have a double dead corner.
You’re right about the posters but permanent signage is up now.
That was a CIBC on the kitty corner which is now closed and which will soon be a Pi Co.

Mexicados has opened at 471 Church in the space that had been Fuel. Their website says this is their second location, the other being 1022 Queen East. It's nice to have a new spot for something other than burgers and pizza.

Apparently A&W are moving into the southwest corner of Church and Hayden, meaning there will now be an A&W to the North, South, East, and West of the Village.

I was hoping for more indy coffee shops as Starbucks close across the City.

I'm now concerned we may end up with a 1 for 1 swap with A&Ws.

Last edited:

Back