News   Apr 16, 2024
 564     3 
News   Apr 16, 2024
 442     2 
News   Apr 16, 2024
 797     0 

Church-Wellesley Village

Rising rents and the lack of affordable housing are doing more damage to the village than dating apps.
This is probably true of all communities that have seen a major influx of people. Although agreed that populations which may inherently be marginalized may feel the impact more.

Who knows whether it will actually happen or not, but there are signs up in the old Statler's space.

IMG_4669.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_4669.jpg
    IMG_4669.jpg
    216.3 KB · Views: 391
A letter from Maura Lawless, Executive Director of The 519, and David Morris, Chair of The 519 Board of Management to Minister Morneau, Premier Ford, Ms. Suze Morrison MPP, and Mayor John Tory, seeking immediate government action to save Toronto's LGBTQ2S Village.

There seems to be some signs of life on the east side of Church. The Friendly Stranger is now open, and I think the pot shop in the old Cumbrae's space will be open soon if it isn't already. And I saw/heard construction going on in the Statler's space where the sign said The Well was moving in. I was pretty skeptical that would actually happen.

I didn't think The Garage was going to re-open but there has been some activity in there too. Hopefully their sunny patio works to their advantage.

Can you elaborate? It's not as though Tinder, Bumble, etc. have killed spaces for the heterosexual community to spend time other than restaurants. So why do you think online dating (if we're calling it that) has killed spaces for the queer community?
But they have. There's been a worldwide decrease in clubbing and "singles bars." It may seem more acute in the gay scene as there were less of them to begin with. Also, they tend to play a double role and foster a community on a different level than many of their straight counterpart establishments.

Who knows whether it will actually happen or not, but there are signs up in the old Statler's space.
It appears the group behind this, whoever they are, are also opening a counterpart in Hamilton by the same name. The Hammer has been without an LGBTQ2+ space for a few years now, so this is welcome news. I believe it is going into the old Wellington Arms space, so perhaps that's part of the inspiration for the name. Also, the name reminds me of "The Living Well," which was a gay bar/resto on Yonge for many years in the 1990s/2000s.

Last edited:

Back