News   Apr 19, 2024
 744     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 644     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1K     3 

Church-Wellesley Village

The Cherie Bistro, which is in the old Café California space, is open now. I saw a few tables occupied in there on Tuesday night but I haven't been in yet.

Forgot to look if the Chef Gourmet (in the old Fresh Burger) is open yet. If it isn't, it must be soon.

Also saw some work going on at the Hero Burger site. I was convinced that was just dead, so was surprised to see work being done.

Doesn't seem to be any movement in that stretch from Cumbrae's to Statler's though.

The Cherie Bistro, which is in the old Café California space, is open now. I saw a few tables occupied in there on Tuesday night but I haven't been in yet.

Their "Soft Opening Limited Menu" has 24 different entrees and pasta dishes, plus eight appetizers and six different salads. Certainly ambitious for a "limited menu."
I hope they get the balance right between 'something for everyone' and 'something of everything' that sinks so many restaurants.

Their "Soft Opening Limited Menu" has 24 different entrees and pasta dishes, plus eight appetizers and six different salads. Certainly ambitious for a "limited menu."
I hope they get the balance right between 'something for everyone' and 'something of everything' that sinks so many restaurants.

My 82 year old father-in-law would LOVE this menu.

• Haha
Reactions: ARB
Fly is closing on June 30th. Apparently this time "for good", as the building is to be demolished for a condo (obviously).

The Village loses its only proper dance club...

Last edited:
Fly is closing on June 30th. Apparently this time "for good", as the building is to be demolished for a condo (obviously).

The Village loses its only proper dance club...

Sad watching the village slowly being destroyed over the past few years. :( I'm glad i got to enjoy the village during the 90s.

I understand that we need to make room for condos. What I don't understand is that no space is being made in these new buildings for a proper club venue.

The problem is there are no gay bars opening up to replace the ones that close so on those rare occasions that people want to go out and dance, there is now few options left. The internet and straight bars cannot replace a gay dance club, a cruising bar or even a showbar, so once they are gone, it appears to be the end of the road for gay nightlife! For me in the 80's and 90's, gay bars were the place I developed a social life and made real friends. The internet may be good if you want a life of casual one-night-stands but it doesn't work well in meeting true friends. For gay kids today, it's really hard to get a social life.

The problem is there are no gay bars opening up to replace the ones that close so on those rare occasions that people want to go out and dance, there is now few options left. The internet and straight bars cannot replace a gay dance club, a cruising bar or even a showbar, so once they are gone, it appears to be the end of the road for gay nightlife! For me in the 80's and 90's, gay bars were the place I developed a social life and made real friends. The internet may be good if you want a life of casual one-night-stands but it doesn't work well in meeting true friends. For gay kids today, it's really hard to get a social life.

I think what you want to blame is Instagram.

What I don't understand is that no space is being made in these new buildings for a proper club venue.

A big issue in this city is that there's an extremely complicated process for getting a new nightclub license, and even if you go through the entire process the city has the power to arbitrarily deny applications (which they currently do for any application outside of the entertainment district). It's just not worth the effort even if there is space available. People just go through other routes - Woody's, for example, is licensed as a bar/pub, and they give out those free chips to meet the food requirement.

A big issue in this city is that there's an extremely complicated process for getting a new nightclub license, and even if you go through the entire process the city has the power to arbitrarily deny applications (which they currently do for any application outside of the entertainment district). It's just not worth the effort even if there is space available. People just go through other routes - Woody's, for example, is licensed as a bar/pub, and they give out those free chips to meet the food requirement.

I've been to Woody's many times over the last 20 or so years. Why have I never seen these free chips you speak of?!?

Especially north of Queen.

Scaffolding has come down around the Hero Burger building. I wonder if they're going to try to be open in time for Pride.

Also, I was at Olympic Pizza tonight and they said they're closing permanently in 3 weeks and won't be seeking a new location. Another one bites the dust.

Back