News   Mar 28, 2024
 179     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 300     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 666     0 

Church-Wellesley Village

CBC article: 'Under siege by thugs': Church and Wellesley businesses call for help after spate of violent crimes
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/under-siege-by-thugs-1.4370324

flyers.png

To cut off the spelling debate before it begins, yes, it should be siege. CBC got it right.

I've definitely seen an influx of panhandlers, homeless and individuals with mental health issues in the neighbourhood of late. I'm wondering where they're coming from; are they being displaced from another area and migrating to the village?

I've definitely seen an influx of panhandlers, homeless and individuals with mental health issues in the neighbourhood of late. I'm wondering where they're coming from; are they being displaced from another area and migrating to the village?
It may just be 'the season" as there have been FAR more street-sleepers and pan-handlers in St Lawrence in recent months too.

In other news, a new place called "The Drink" has opened up above Kintaro; looks like a cafe-type place.

The new place called "The Drink" is currently a cafe type place with coffee, sandwiches, cakes etc... and is open until 7pm most nights. Once they get their liquor licence it will be open until 2 am and become more of a bar. The coffee and cakes will likely become secondary fare or disappear altogether when this happens. The owners are Jimmy of O'Grady's and Francis & Steve of The Men's Room.

Wonder if the Ho's next to the Pizza Pizza will be next; there's no notice but it's been shuttered for awhile now.

A bit outside the Village, but a condo is proposed at 120 Church where Club 120 (formerly Goodhandys) is. I love Club 120! :-(

From the City's website:
An application for Zoning By-law Amendment to permit a new 45-storey (142.9 metre) mixed use building on the properties. The proposal is comprised of a 5-storey (21.3 metre) podium element and two tower elements at 20-storeys and 40-storeys. Commercial uses would be located at grade and on the second floor, with residential uses above. Total gross floor area 42,752.8 square metres, comprised of 40,343.3 square metres of residential gross floor area and 2,409.5 square metres of non-residential gross floor area. A total of 567 residential units are proposed and 129 parking spaces.

Oy. People were absolutely correct to worry about Cumbrae's closing, then. It really sucks how Cumbrae's handled this - some of its longest customers would still have been relying on this location.

I've heard good things about the Meat Department on the Danforth. That will probably be my go-to.

The Meat Department is excellent.

Church St. soon to have the retail and restaurant character of Bay St. between Dundas and Bloor. Yay!

Back