News   Apr 15, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 2.2K     5 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 661     0 

Church-Wellesley Village

Looks like the owner of O'Grady's may be opening a new bar called The Drink upstairs where the Healthy Greek used to be located. I think it was most recently the home of Urge. Many bars have been located here in the past but for a long time it was a great burrito place called Chino Locos.

Saw the blinds closed at Cumbrae's at lunch today and was worried they'd closed up shop, but the sign on the door says they're closed for repairs.

The Village is rife with rumors.

One insider reports, the landlord jacked the rent so high, Cumbraes decided to close.

Another insider reports, Tim Horton's is opening a "cafe" at the address.

Does anyone know what's really know what's happening with Cumbraes?

Loaded Perogi has their menu and a hiring sign up on their windows now so looks like it's back on track again.

What happened to Volo going into the mansion?

Answered above:

Stormcrow, an alehouse from BC, is opening in the old mansion at Church/Dundonland (580 Church St). It's going to be called the Stormcrow Manor. Looks like it'll be a pub type space with board and card games, si-fi on TV, etc. There is one location in Vancouver already.

They have a website set up for the Toronto location! https://www.stormcrowmanor.com/

Agreed. At this point, a stable tenant with solid money behind them is truly what this corner needs.

Granted, good beer is so rare in The Village, I'm a bit disappointed in no Volo too.

How hungry are developers? Just found out they tried to buy these 6 townhouses on Gloucester, halfway between Yonge & Church, so they could tear them down and put up a condo. Offered the owners $1.6M a piece. The owners weren't interested.
gloucester.JPG

Attachments

• gloucester.JPG
    gloucester.JPG
    113.4 KB · Views: 549
There's no signs of activity in Cumbrae's which makes me nervous.

Their Instagram says "As for the reopening situation we will update very soon." That was posted 5 days ago.

I went to Cumbrae's Store in Bellwoods on Friday. I asked the manager about the Church Street location. He said "We are NOT CLOSING Church Street, it is under-going a much needed renovation. Sorry for the confusion."

Not sure why so many people jumped to the conclusion that the store was potentially closing. I know "closed for renovations" is sometimes a sign that a retail/service outlet can no longer pay its staff and landlord is about to seize the space for non-payment of rent, but when Cumbrae's has other, obviously successful stores, the most obvious explanation is exactly what they said it is - closed for renovations - rather than a cover for something else.

Having said that, not sure why Cumbrae's communications are so poor. If your loyal customers are wondering whether their favourite store is kaput, then you have a done a bad job telling your customers what's happening. They should be trumpeting much-needed renovations, and assuring customers that the Church Street location will be reopening soon better than ever, rather than grudgingly letting information slip out through the occasional Instagram reply and discussion with staff at other locations. If I was a regular customer, and found my favourite butcher shop closed with blinds drawn, with very little explanation and not even a vague ETA as to a target reopening date, I would be annoyed.

Not sure why so many people jumped to the conclusion that the store was potentially closing. I know "closed for renovations" is sometimes a sign that a retail/service outlet can no longer pay its staff and landlord is about to seize the space for non-payment of rent, but when Cumbrae's has other, obviously successful stores, the most obvious explanation is exactly what they said it is - closed for renovations - rather than a cover for something else.

It's probably just due to the glut of businesses leaving the street and of course, the lack of communication.

It's probably just due to the glut of businesses leaving the street and of course, the lack of communication.

If they were leaving the street, unlikely a business like Cumbrae's would have closed the blinds and claimed renovations. Again, not sure why people jumped to conclusions. But, yes, Cumbrae's lack of communications added fuel to the fire.

You know we have to assume that somewhat intelligent people are in charge of this company. If that's the case then using the word renovations in the sign on the door would be more appropriate. But they chose to say "Closed for Repairs" which makes me think a pipe burst maybe or a fridge broke, who knows, but something needs to be repaired. If it wasn't an emergency repair then you'd think they would be open right up to the point when the repairs/renovation were to begin. But from the outside no activity is to be seen. A good sign is that no for rent/lease sign has gone up. So if you're paying rent then money is going up in smoke every day you are closed so you'd want to reopen as quickly as possible.
Oh well, it's all speculation at this point. The beautiful new location on Bayview opened at the same time Church St. closed. Perhaps they needed experienced staff and transferred everyone up there.

I don't know, I think you're jumping to conclusions. What if their cold room stopped working, and it was going to take two weeks to get the part? That would explain the delays. There are many other scenarios that would logically explain what happened. I am, of course, just speculating too, but it just strikes me that it's Cumbrae's, and if they say they are closed for renovations or repairs then the simple explanation is likely the correct one, and it seems odd that so many people started jumping to more sinister conclusions.

Of course, maybe they'll announce they are closing permanently tomorrow. Who knows.

Back