Toronto Church and Wellesley | 101.78m | 31s | ONE Properties | S9

Which is really too bad because there's absolutely nothing wrong with the way things have panned out in the ED post-Lightbox. Lynda sees that loss as a personal scar and anything coming along that might challenge it in a similar way gets an impossibly rough ride now. The even more frustrating thing is that plenty in the department don't view it that way and genuinely want many of the same things that we on this website do.
There's a completely different neighbourhood dynamic in the Church & Wellesley Village than there is/was in the Entertainment District. The neighbourhood is gearing up now against the possibility of losing Crews and Tango, and my guess is that anti-development activism is only going to ramp up now, so I don't see the City backing down.

Oh, I'm certainly not implying that they will - quite the opposite. I think the 'fights' in the ED 10-15 years ago were also different because there were next to no existing residents. And now that the general form at 750sm and 157m has been established (let's see how the 400 Front decision changes applications going forward), it's difficult for residents to fight against something that technically is the 'prevailing context / character'.

If I was the developer in the Church and Wellesley area, I would have done my utmost to work with the owners of Crews and Tango on that site, and to work with the community to provide community amenities and increased public realm space at this site.

Neither of these developments needed to be combative.

If I was the developer in the Church and Wellesley area, I would have done my utmost to work with the owners of Crews and Tango on that site, and to work with the community to provide community amenities and increased public realm space at this site.

Neither of these developments needed to be combative.
That developer is reaching out, it's just that locals are really worried right now.

I hope they reach out with what they had before their latest renderings, Mr. 42. >.<

Mods, should the thread be updated to remove 3XN? I don't believe they're involved with this project anymore.

The thread for that project is here, and it has just been updated with a new statement from Graywood and the owner of Crews and Tango.

I thought you where referring to this project. My apologies for misunderstanding in my n00bness of posting here. Thus, I sit corrected. :(

The new renderings posted on One Properties' website:

churc.jpg
churc2.jpg
churc3.png
churc4.jpg

Wow, has this been dumbed down since the first few concepts. And the once iconic corner?: reduced to the most mediocre and lazy of finishes and design, indistinguishable from some of the worst of the new condos in the city.

Perfect for a new bank branch I guess (complete with window film advertising).

The rounded corner is interesting, I'll give it that...but it's still no where near as good as the original concept for this.

...and still no steps. Council should never let this pass until they put back in those steps, IMO.

Edit/PS: Don't get me wrong...and rounded corners aside, I really hate what they're doing here currently. 🤮

Last edited:
If it's still a G+C (and I suspect it is - the treatment of the SE corner is pretty much the same as the March 2020 plans), I'd rather wait to see the actual updated plans, and even then...

AoD

Last edited:

Back