News   Apr 18, 2024
 2.4K     4 

Chinatown East: Zhong Hua Men Gate

confusion

Member Bio
Reaction score
I was browsing the Toronto Star today and I came across this article:
http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/article/542471

It seems Chinatown East is getting some love. Does anyone have any additional information on this Gate project described in the Toronto Star article?

------------------------

Chinatown east to get traditional archway

Nov 24, 2008 12:01 PM
VANESSA LU
STAFF REPORTER

Toronto is one step closer to having a traditional Chinese archway in Chinatown East.

At a ceremony this morning, Mayor David Miller joined local business leaders to mark the completion of the foundation for the Zhong Hua Men gate, near the corner of Gerrard St. and Broadview Ave.

The project will cost more than $900,000. The city is contributing $415,000 of that.

The gate, which is expected to be finished in the spring, will stand 13 metres high and feature engraved messages of goodwill and wisdom.

"The two beautiful lions will symbolically serve as the entranceway to this community," Miller said.

The lions, which are already in place, are a gift from China. China's consul-general, Zhu Tao-Ying was on hand to mark the occasion.

Councillor Paula Fletcher, who represents the area, said about $150,000 is still needed in donations, and fundraising efforts continue.

"This will be the first and only gate in Toronto," she said, noting that surprisingly there are no other traditional archways in the city.

What about the The Diamond Jubilee of Confederation Gates...uuuuh, Princes' Gates?

That was built well before my time so I have absolutely no idea as to the circumstances of the city back then. But with respect to here and now, didn't the city very recently almost go bankrupt?

Last edited:
It's not a waste at all.

This Chinatown is older than Spadina and the "Gates" project was envisioned 15 years ago, announced with a bit of fanfare 9 years ago (promises of funding)... and is finally going to get built (assumes old promises finally met).

Stuff like this is what makes a city great... acknowledgement (the community there) and public delight/suprise ("wow look at those gates").

I for one am thrilled that they (the neighbourhood) finally managed to get some public $ to get this built... I know there's a bank account with the promised private sector/local business contribution that is sitting there patiently, surrounded by cobwebs... this one will not require a fundraising effort... the money was raised a decade ago.

I frankly didn't understand why this traditional Chinese style archway was not being built in central Chinatown ............ aka Spadina Avenue (where most tourists would visit)

and come to think of it ........ most international cities around the world have one of these chinese style arches as a gateway to their Chinatown even though they have a much smaller Chinese population, I wonder why Toronto never had one until now ??

Chinatown East... It really doesn't get much attention at all. I think the Gate wouldn't get noticed there much. Actually I don't even know where it's located. I've only gone there twice in my life time.

The gates would work better at Spadina I think (though I feel bad for Chinatown East for not getting any recognition). At least more people would see it.

wow I didn't even know there was a China town east ... less ever been there.

I'm all for spreading the wealth but I'd much rather see this on Spadina, I'm suprised it was built here.

Anyone with a feel for the area, what's it like? Something like Dundas west of Spadina?

Just because you didn't know it existed, doesn't mean it doesn't exist. It is an incredibly vibrant neighbourhood, rich in history... and afforable, delicious lunches (yeah, yeah... Chinese OR Vietnamese ala Spadina).

It's a major gateway across the Don Valley, and has the potential to be just as important a "gateway" as the Bloor Viaduct is to the so-called "Danforth".

1. Major spine of Regent Park revitalization = Gerrard Street.

2. Southern limits of oh so expensive Cabbagetown = Gerrard Street.

3. A trolley ride thru this most ancient Chinatown= eventually, Little India (aka the useless "Indian Bazaar" monicker).

So it has the history, the (soon to grow) traffic (cars, bikes and humans), the markets and restaurants... and if you keep on going... you land in India.

'nuff said.

Last edited:
Thanks for the little bit of education ... I'll pay the whole area a visit on one of my next walks.

A question though - you say, traffic in the area will grow, why?
Are there any new projects in that area?

I spent yesterday in the neighbourhood. (Although I ended up eating at Blue Water Fish & Chips, Broadview just south of Danforth--yummy!) I just posted a ton of photos to my facebook album but have been too lazy to post them here.

However, here's a couple I took yesterday driving by the intersection of Broadview and Gerrard.

Judging by the people going in, this restaurant must be good.
DSC00429-1.jpg

Looking south on Broadview at the Gerrard intersection--Chinatown East's western gateway.
DSC00446.jpg

Ka Ka Lucky Seafood????

Allrighty, then...:cool:

Just because something is of benefit doesn't necessarily mean it is money well spent. A new espresso machine would be big benefit to my morning, but if I am spending more than I earn each year and other pressing priorities are going without - maybe I should just drink nabob like everyone else.

Back