News   Aug 23, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Aug 23, 2024
 2.2K     4 
News   Aug 23, 2024
 561     0 

China Insurance Headquarters - Shenzhen (Coop Himmelb(l)au)

khris

Member Bio
Reaction score
china_insurance_group_sq.jpg

Austrian architects Coop Himmelb(l)au have won a competition to design the headquarters for China Insurance Group in Shenzhen, China.

w_0816_r02_sr_sq.jpg

The 49-storey building will sit next to OMA’s Shenzhen Stock Exchange Plaza (on left of images), which is under construction in the city’s Central District.

w_0816_r01_sr.jpg

Source

Ok, I'm all for curvyness et al, but that overhanging piece of crap is overkill. Someone call Dubai, the design for their latest 1000m tower was stolen!! =P (and shrunk to not look suspicious o_O)

Two cheers for the latest novelty shape. Perhaps it's designed to drop like a guillotine and crush people who don't pay their insurance premiums on time? Shows on the hour, every hour.

Two cheers for the latest novelty shape. Perhaps it's designed to drop like a guillotine and crush people who don't pay their insurance premiums on time? Shows on the hour, every hour.

Architects have moved beyond the rigid dogma of the early 20th century international style. Get over it already. Every post of a building that is not a square box gets the same reaction from you.

High fashion shape du jour novelty buildings represent a rigid dogma which, given the present climate, is looking increasingly tired. The party is over, notwithstanding a few late, loud gatecrashers still trying to get in. jks's comment about Dubai seems appropriate.

High fashion shape du jour novelty buildings represent a rigid dogma which, given the present climate, is looking increasingly tired.

These stupid novelty buildings don't represent any sort of dogma beyond using technology for 'innovative' shapes.

The party is over, notwithstanding a few late, loud gatecrashers still trying to get in. jks's comment about Dubai seems appropriate.

What party? Over how? You're going to keep seeing buildings like this more and more.

Oh no, they're part of the new Bauhaus dogma: We have a brand new century, with new technologies and new materials! Architects have broken themselves free from the confines of the square box and have found new ways to express themselves creatively! It's the future and thank goodness! Bring on the wavy forms and shapes! The splashes of colour! The creative use of materials! This is architecture at its most creative! Artists attempting to express themselves, and our new age! Using the latest techniques! Bring on the new age of style!

As for the second part, don't you think that crash design has kinda crashed into the economic crash?

Oh no, they're part of the new Bauhaus dogma: We have a brand new century, with new technologies and new materials! Architects have broken themselves free from the confines of the square box and have found new ways to express themselves creatively! It's the future and thank goodness! Bring on the wavy forms and shapes! The splashes of colour! The creative use of materials! This is architecture at its most creative! Artists attempting to express themselves, and our new age! Using the latest techniques! Bring on the new age of style!

Plurality and experimentation is not dogmatism. The only unifying element amongst those buildings are their audacious shapes, they're united in their attempts to stand out - but they're each doing it in their own way.

I think it's hysterical that you would recast free-spirited (and, I agree, often misguided) expression as inherently uncreative - and yet champion the mundane as expressive and brilliant!

As for the second part, don't you think that crash design has kinda crashed into the economic crash?

Unfortunately I don't. I think you're going to see a slow-down, but I think you'll still see the same kinda of techno-driven showmanship for another decade.

I mean; I like that people feel unfettered by convention, but I really find Architecture based on making the unlikely possible, very uncomfortable. I understand that you can make an apartment building that looks as if it's been stopped mid-fall, but...why? Why populate the public realm with un-needed tension? Because we can seems a hollow answer :(

"Because we can" is central to the conventions of car crash design though, as is ignoring existing context. It isn't inherently more creative than fitting in and expanding what already exists by working within the framework.

"Because we can" is central to the conventions of car crash design though, as is ignoring existing context. It isn't inherently more creative than fitting in and expanding what already exists by working within the framework.

Well, in other circumstances that would be the very definition of creative :p More than an issue of creativity (and I think they are creative) I think the problem is that they're not clever. They don't know how to put on their show while still respecting their neighbours, or even their users. (Like Libeskind's old Boot stomping on the O'Humminy Centre)

Oh I agree, and too little time spent getting the idea of a building resolved at the conceptual stage. But the whole idea of "putting on a show" is also starting to look rather past-sell-by-date, given the present environment and how quickly yesterday's values have been dropped.

Creative arts, including architecture, has always been about putting on a show. From the pyramids to the Paris Opera House to Ghery's Bilbao, great architecture is hardly dismissed by serious students as "high fashion shape du jour novelty buildings." I am increasely convinced that you cannot be serious with all that bull.

And you speak of "ignoring existing context" yet you celebrate throwing gigantic glass point towers in historic districts here in the city with the rational that they are creating 'new contexts"????? Such intellectual gymnastics must keep you up at night.

(and using the latest techniques and materials will not end because of any "economic crash". In fact, we will no doubt see more use of new materials and new innovative solutions to older and existing problems, chiefly because of a new economic and environmental reality. You may wish to go backwards, or to stand still, but artists don't tend to do so.)

Last edited:

Back