News   Apr 25, 2024
 2     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 998     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.6K     1 

Chief Planner Jennifer Keesmaat to leave City of Toronto

[Sources tell me @jen_keesmaat is looking at coming back to the city to take on recently vacated position of city manager. She was formerly city planner before choosing to leave several months ago.]
Why would she? Nothing to gain, and everything to lose. She's a Planner, not a Manager.

I'd be very surprised if Tory would have her back.
Considering how she bailed him out by going along with the "Eglinton East LRT+Scarb Subway Bundle Offer" he could show more gratitude.

I don't say this as a knock against her - it's hardly her fault that Toronto media is like this - but has anyone seen even one photo of the acting CP since his appointment?

Considering how she bailed him out by going along with the "Eglinton East LRT+Scarb Subway Bundle Offer" he could show more gratitude.

I don't say this as a knock against her - it's hardly her fault that Toronto media is like this - but has anyone seen even one photo of the acting CP since his appointment?
Greg Lintern is a very experienced City planner and I am not sure why the absence of his photo makes you think he is not doing a good job. From all I hear, he is. Keesmaat liked the attention but maybe more is actually accomplished by working in the background.

Greg Lintern is a very experienced City planner and I am not sure why the absence of his photo makes you think he is not doing a good job. From all I hear, he is. Keesmaat liked the attention but maybe more is actually accomplished by working in the background.
I'm sure Lintern is doing a fine job. But Toronto news photo editors couldn't have a planning or even just vaguely urban issue without a photo of Keesmaat, even when you control for the number of public events etc. she contributed to.

News Release

March 28, 2018

City of Toronto announces new Chief Planner

The City of Toronto announced today that Gregg Lintern has been appointed as its new Chief Planner.

Lintern has had a long-term history of working in municipal planning. His career of more than three decades started in the City of Etobicoke in 1984 and has taken him across the city to other communities. He rose through the ranks to become a Director of Community Planning for the Etobicoke York district in 2005 and the Toronto and East York district in 2011. Lintern was also Acting Chief Planner and the Executive Director of the City Planning division in 2012 and since September 2017.

Lintern has a proven track record in delivering transformative projects of both city-wide and local significance. He has led many significant projects at the City, including:

• Leading teams delivering TOcore, Yonge Eglinton Secondary Plan Review, Port Lands Planning Framework and other growth management frameworks

• Major transformative development projects including Mirvish Gehry, the Honest Ed's site, the Lower Yonge Precinct Plan, and

• City building and policy reviews including Yonge-Dundas Revitalization, Woodbine Live!, Humber Bay Shores, Billy Bishop Airport and Regent Park.

"Gregg has the experience and depth of knowledge of this city to guide the planning of Toronto's future," said Mayor John Tory. "I'm confident City Planning under Gregg's leadership will help Council build Toronto's transit network, add more affordable housing and manage growth across the city."

Lintern's initial priority areas will include transit network expansion, affordable housing, improvements to the development review process and implementing Ontario Municipal Board reform. He will begin his new role on April 9.

This news release is also available on the City's website: https://bit.ly/2Ibe7gy

Great choice, Gregg has a strong record at the City and, though (or perhaps because) he will be less 'flashy' than Keesmaat, he will actually achieve more.

Back