News   Apr 23, 2024
 132     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 309     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 532     0 

Chapelview (Brampton Downtown, Peel Affordable Housing, 16s, HCA Architecture)

Exterior coming close to completion.

3991012933_2269a1aa83_b.jpg

3991014539_d17029ac4b_b.jpg

The precast is very cheap, unfortunately. Park Place really does represent the best of Brampton's current mini building boom.
4283945988_c629c8675e.jpg

I guess one can be glad that the roof is not in cheap metal green faux-rusted copper.

painted precast brick strikes yet again !!

by the fact that the precast brick was being painted to look like 'real' brick, as shown in ShonTron's photo above ~ :)

I seem to always have the dissenting view these days!

I am pleasently surprised by this building. I am not suggesting it is some marvel of architecture that people the world over will travel to see.

What it is, however, is an affordable/subsidized housing project on a secondary street in a secondary market. It may not be beautiful but it has exceeded my original expectations and is certainly not an eysore.

Something Wrong/New Here

Had to go to Brampton City Hall on Monday and took a quick shots a couple thing with no plans and shooting this building until I noticed a change on the west end.

Either they going to repaint the brown brick colours or adding a trim to it.

Don't like the new colour if it not a primer.

IMG_feb-01-10-0113.jpg

IMG_feb-01-10-0114.jpg

IMG_feb-01-10-0118.jpg

First of its Kind in the World

Did You Know????? Chapelview, if successful will become the first LEED Platinum (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) Certified Multi-Residential Affordable Housing Project in the World. The Evaulations will be conducted by the Canadian Green Building Council. In addition, if successful, will be eligible for three Global Awards. How's That for downtown Brampton ??

I'm glad to say that the off-white precast was protective film or a primer for painting because the final product (it looks about ready for occupancy; the underground garage appears to be open) again isn't as offensive as I thought it might be.

It's clearly lo-po, but not offensively so either - they forgone the green metal on the roof that screams this archetype, the colours of the brick precast match the colours of the older buildings that surround it, and it doesn't stand out amongst everything else (unlike the decent neo-modern Park Place just to the east). It also doesn't scream affordable housing either - a lower/mid market condo or rental could easily be similar.

4714902484_97ff6243db.jpg

Yes it's slabby, but taken from the new central square, it isn't too bad.

4714902902_60be6f163c_b.jpg

Front entrance (hopefully they fix the white lines between sections of precast):

4714263163_6208a0312b_b.jpg

From the corner of Main and John:

4714904932_4e52154b4b_b.jpg

Last edited:
Move In Time !!!!!!!

I understand that some tenants have begun to move into the Chapelview Project. It certainly looks like a sharp and interesting building. Hopefully this will change the public perception of what Affordable Housing is all about. Good to have a builder that thinks a b it out of the box.

Back