Toronto Casey House | ?m | 4s | Hariri Pontarini

It's very dark. I'm not convinced that was the best course to take.

It's very dark. I'm not convinced that was the best course to take.
It's dark on the south side as stucco, but light brick on the north side. I am assuming it will be light brick on the east end.

Did a nice job of rehabilitation of the historical building.

31389420413_00960f51d2_h.jpg

31389423493_a9c8c32332_h.jpg

32161376176_79c7037d93_h.jpg

31358337954_f7a8a0c2f0_h.jpg

31389431673_95963321d5_h.jpg

31389255553_9f19204005_h.jpg

32199793915_543067ee22_h.jpg

31358340314_808050e9aa_h.jpg

I love any attempt at being bold. I'll have to see it in person to be sure, but I think I'm in love.

I really like the patterns of the different brick colours/glass/stucco. The north side has a 70's vibe to it. Very playful.

Just had a look at Jan 9 pictures.

It's an AIDS hospice. IMO, it looks like a very depressing place to die! :/

I know it's "inspired by the AIDS quilt" and whatnot but did it have to be so sad to look at? Maybe it needs to be finished first.

Just had a look at Jan 9 pictures.

It's an AIDS hospice. IMO, it looks like a very depressing place to die! :/

I know it's "inspired by the AIDS quilt" and whatnot but did it have to be so sad to look at? Maybe it needs to be finished first.

Depressing? Quite the opposite IMO. It looks great. The new facade is a nice contrast with the old one. This is one of my fave smaller projects going up.

The restoration of the existing building looks incredible. I think I find the new facade to be a bit too "constrasty" (too many tones of brick, too many materials)... although upon more consideration it does kind of reflect the materiality of all the mid-century brick high-rises all around that area, which is sort of a cool approach... I still don't know if I'd be dying to get in there (excuse the lame joke).

Casey House isn't just a classic hospice anymore - the nature of HIV/AIDS has changed over the past what, 2 decades to what is basically an incurable but chronic condition.

AoD

Last edited:
I thought immediately of the 'Aids quilt' when i saw this without knowing that it was an inspiration. For those of us who went through the shear ghastliness of the epidemic and came through unscathed I admire this effort a lot. I recall seeing the 'quilt' in Vancouver and cold not even stay in the exhibit as it was so powerful. It was in Casey house that I saw my first dead body and it was a friend. I'm not seeking sympathy but want to remind some people that this was a very dark time and that I am impressed that those times are remembered and especially that medical science has brought life back to the otherwise doomed.
On a cheerier note... I especially like the restoration of the mansion. Is the interior restored too.

I hope condo developer pick up on the style of brick used here. We don't need another project with three colours though. It does work here.

Back