News   Oct 18, 2024
 130     0 
News   Oct 18, 2024
 332     2 
News   Oct 17, 2024
 1K     1 

Casa Loma (Liberty Entertainment Group, renovations/alterations)

androiduk

Member Bio
Reaction score
Application: Building Additions/Alterations Status: Not Started

TORONTO ON M5R 1X8

Ward 22: St. Paul's

Application#: 13 237740 BLD 00 BA Accepted Date: Sep 18, 2013

Project: Museum Other(BA)

Description: To complete exterior restorations (116.60 m2)to the existing Southwest Wing and Norman Tower of the Casa Loma Building. The roof and walls will be re-cladded (275.10m2)on the south wing, and norman tower as part of this project.

On May 5th City Council approved a seasonal glass pavilion for the garden area at Casa Loma. The pavilion will allow for weather protected events on the site.

There will be more minor alterations coming as part of the Liberty Entertainment Group's revitalization of the attraction.

That's exciting! This is one of Toronto's greatest tourist assets. I mean, how many North American cities can boast of a castle?! Fact is, we've never really known what to do with it or how to capitalize on it. Nice to see some fresh ideas coming. Casa Loma, along with Fort York and the Distillery are Toronto's most notable historic sites and should be promoted widely as such. I'd love to add a developed Parliament Square to this select list too!!

Tewder:

It's a grand mansion, not a real castle - much less a real fake one like Neuschwanstein. That said, it should be appreciated for what it is.

AoD

A pavilion was erected last summer for their Symphony in the Garden concerts, which are truly wonderful and a brilliant expansion of the museum's programming. They resume this summer, and I highly recommend them to all.

Liberty Entertainment Group has been doing a great job so far since taking over, and has much more to come in terms of both restoration and programming. Very impressed when we met with them late last year, and we hope to be back in the next while to report on the latest progress.

Tewder:

It's a grand mansion, not a real castle - much less a real fake one like Neuschwanstein. That said, it should be appreciated for what it is.

AoD

Not a castle in the medieval 'fortress' sense but in the Victorian fantasy folly idea of a grand house or public building that they'd call a castle for status. Think of Castle Kilbride near Waterloo or Dundern in Hamilton. I'm also thinking of the 'chateaux' built across Canada in the same era, i.e. Frontenac, Laurier, Lake Louise etc. Even in Europe the term castle/chateau had evolved and expanded to imply meanings other than that of fortified. In this sense Casa Loma is a perfect example.

http://www.historicplaces.ca/en/pages/10_canadas_castles.aspx

There has been scaffolding up around one of the towers for a while now, I haven't been there recently so I'm not sure what work has been done.

a0cfc34f-87e6-405e-8aea-edad154e1154_zps4midx1cw.jpg

There has been scaffolding up around one of the towers for a while now, I haven't been there recently so I'm not sure what work has been done.
The City is coming to the end of a multi-year project to repair the outside of Casa Loma; they have been doing a tower or two each year.

Back