Status
Not open for further replies.
W

wyliepoon

Link to article

GO-AutoShare collaboration will cut number of commutes to Mississauga

National Post
Published: Friday, May 05, 2006

Driving around Mississauga without driving there will be an option if a pilot project between GO Transit and AutoShare takes off. GO has given the self-service hourly rental company a parking space at the Port Credit station where members can pick up a car. This will serve those working in downtown Toronto who have meetings in Mississauga. If the six-month experiment is popular, Go Transit CEO Gary McNeil said the company will discuss expanding the project. "It really gives people an alternative way of doing things without their car," Mr. McNeil said. AutoShare president Kevin McLaughlin says 40% of members sell their vehicle or avoid buying one, and each AutoShare car replaces eight on the highway.

Link to article

Car-sharing service rides into Toronto
Zipcars

Peter Kuitenbrouwer and Susan Kirwin, National Post
Published: Tuesday, May 09, 2006

A U.S. company that allows people to rent cars for a few hours at a time, with minimal paperwork, is making its entry into the Toronto market today as the city's appetite for "car-sharing" appears to be on the rise.

Zipcar, launched in Boston in 1999, operates 1,500 vehicles in such cities as San Francisco, New York and Washington, D.C. In its first push outside the United States, Zipcar launches today with 12 cars and plans to operate 50 cars in Toronto by month's end.

Zipcar plans to park the cars at parking spots around Toronto.

Users can register for $25 on the company's Web site, zipar.com. Zipcar sends them a card; a user then uses the Internet to reserve a car.

According to Scott Griffith, Zipcar's chief executive, the company's software will then send a wireless e-mail to a computer inside the company's car. Another e-mail goes to the member, telling them where to pick up their car.

Then, when the Zipcar member arrives at the car, they wave their card at a spot near the driver-side visor, which will unlock the car door.

Each car contains a debit card that the driver can use to top up the gasoline. After the rental, the company sends the user a bill. A standard sedan such as a Mazda 3 will rent for $11 an hour; a Mini Cooper will rent for $13 an hour, he said.

"This is good for someone who has a dinner party on Saturday night, and it's Thursday, and she needs to run a few errands," Mr. Griffith said. "It's less than an all-day rental. And it's more convenient. You don't have to deal with a human being."

Zipcar will compete with AutoShare, which began in Toronto 1998 with three cars and now has over 2,500 members who use 100 cars in 60 locations.

AutoShare (autoshare.com) membership costs $500, but the company says renting its cars costs about $6 an hour. The company president, Kevin McLaughlin, said AutoShare is growing at a rate of 40% to 60% a year.

Last week the company began a pilot project with Go Transit, which gave Autoshare a parking space at the Port Credit Go station. If the project expands it could increase both GO ridership and car-sharing.

''There are a lot more people who don't want to own a car and clearly don't need to own a car,'' said Mr. McLaughlin. ''It's easier to live in Toronto without a car.''

''The market is miniscule compared to what it will be,'' said Mr. McLaughlin.

-----------------------​

Some questions I would raise over a car sharing service like this...

- Does a service like this show that GO is content with not being able to provide service to all parts of the GTA? Is GO making a compromise?
- What does starting this service in Mississauga say about the city... that even transit passengers can't get around Mississauga without a car?

I love the concept of Autoshare, but the $500 deposit keeps away a lot of potential customers, I'm sure.

The ZipCar $25 membership is going to be very successful. Good to hear ZipCar is coming to Toronto.

Does a service like this show that GO is content with not being able to provide service to all parts of the GTA? Is GO making a compromise?

I don't think that shows that. Obviously GO Transit can't run exactly to everywhere that people need to get to (for example, my father's condo in Burlington or my sister's house in Hamilton). Taking the train to Burlington or Hamilton and grabbing a car from there would both save the environment and keep me out of traffic.

I really need to look into this car share thing. I own a car, but rarely use it because I live on the subway and do a lot of work travel. I'd be much better off getting rid of it and doing car shares for short trips, or daily rentals for longer trips. If only I wasn't so damn lazy...

I don't think that shows that. Obviously GO Transit can't run exactly to everywhere that people need to get to (for example, my father's condo in Burlington or my sister's house in Hamilton). Taking the train to Burlington or Hamilton and grabbing a car from there would both save the environment and keep me out of traffic.

Doesn't that mean that the local transit system needs to be improved? Autoshare is pointless.

Perhaps my examples were bad, but I don't think Autoshare or Zip Car is pointless.

There are times when public transit is not an appropriate method of travel. If I need to pick up furniture at Ikea or a go to Home Depot and pick up some crown moulding, I'm not going to bring it back on the bus or subway. I think that's exactly why Autoshare is valuable - for rare situations for city dwellers where a form other than public transit is required.

As for public transit in Burlington, it's not bad - I used to take it to the GO station when I lived at home and worked in Toronto right after university. But not everyone is going to want to get off the GO train and onto a bus. And it certainly doesn't make sense to run a subway or RT from the GO station along every bus route in Burlington. Cars available at the GO station might get some drivers off the roads for the intercity part of the trip.

Here is the zip car press release.ZIP Car Press Release

Zipcar is just an absolute amazing service. I use it about twice a month when in Boston.

In just a few years the car locations have grown all over the city such that anywhere you live, a car is located within less than a five minute walk. You can literally book a car within a few minutes of needing one if it is available. Very simple process and I am certain that it will be a huge success in Toronto as well.

Here is a screen shot of a typical booking online:

zipcar_screen.jpg

Here's the Toronto booking screen shot.

The membership in the US is transferrable to all the cities (i.e if you goto New York for the weekend and you are in Boston, you can book a car in New york without additional fees), and looks like as well, in Toronto.

zipcar_screen_toronto.jpg

For your information... that above post wasn't written by me.

Edit: the post in question is now deleted.

ZipCar already has 11 cars downtown here! There's a cool little GoogleMap in their Toronto section.

Very cool.

Fantastic project for Port Credit GO Station!
Fantastic project for Port Credit GO Station!

Where are they going to put these cars since there is no room now for extra parking other building a parking structure?

Why PC considering it has the best bus service of the 2 GO stations on the Lakeshore Line?

It will be interesting to see the reaction of the current GO riders when they are told they are going to have X spaces less foe these cars.

Oh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.............................................

Another example showing GO has no faith in local transit service and another way of making money.

I disagree. Anything that would provide more flexibility for GO riders is good - and if this continues at more GO stations - then perhaps there will be less demand for parking - which is what needs to happen. Right now, there are huge GO parking lots with gridlock in them after a 10-car (or new 12-car) train pulls in, then disgorges hundreds of people all rushing to their cars.

Better local transit to GO stations (with designs to give people arriving by bus, bike or foot priority access) is the best solution. Port Credit, which is one the more "urban" stations does this fairly well, and has the mid-to-upper scale condos nearby to tap into as well for an auto-sharing program.

I'd like to see this at some of the suburban TTC subway stops, like Kipling, Yorkdale, Finch - if this happens, I'll seriously consider joining one of these.

FYI, two new ZipCar locations.

This time, St Lawrence/Old Town Toronto:

South-East Corner of King and Church
Honda Element, Toyota Matrix

Richmond St E btwn Church & Victoria
Mazda 3, Ford Escape

Looks like total number of cars now equals 15.

How is this "pointless"? It's no more pointless than any other car rental agency. In fact, it looks better than traditional car rentals, and I'm considering joining myself.

Not having access to a car without booking in advance for a whole weekend sucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back