347     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 951     0 

Canwest Sets Up in Dundas Square

JasonParis

Member Bio
Reaction score
Canwest Sets Up in Downtown Toronto

E!, the Canwest entertainment network, is launching its "E! News Weekend" program from a new studio location at Dundas Square in downtown Toronto.

"The E! Studios at Dundas Square located in the middle of Canada's entertainment capital at the Hard Rock Cafe really represent what the E! brand is," said Zev Shalev, Vice President, E!, Strategic Programming. "Canwest is thrilled to be the first broadcaster to set up shop in Dundas Square."

The weekly half hour will be hosted by Arisa Cox and Jason Ruta from the new E! Studios at Dundas Square located inside the Hard Rock Cafe.

"We are so pleased to add a weekly entertainment magazine show to our Canwest stable of programming. The network has assembled a top-notch team of some of the best talent in the business to produce and deliver this flagship program," said Christine Shipton, SVP, Drama and Factual Content, Canwest Broadcasting. "As Canada's premiere entertainment network, E! News Weekend is an essential piece of the E! programming slate and our pledge to deliver everything entertainment".

In the debut installment, "E! News Weekend" will bring viewers a profile of Canadian "it" girl and Academy Award nominee Ellen Page, all of the winners from the 2008 Genie Awards and an interview with crooner k.d. lang discussing her new release "Watershed".

Co-host Jason Ruta has spent a decade in the entertainment business including radio, film, television and theatre. His resume includes network experience with YTV and CMT as well as acting in films and commercials.

Co-host Arisa Cox is no stranger to the world of entertainment. She has earned credits as both host and producer on shows like "ET Canada", "The A-List", "Road to Rockstar" and "The Gill Deacon Show".

Behind the camera, pop culture guru, MuchMusic veteran Kim Clarke Champniss serves as Executive Producer. His body of work includes host/producer of MuchMusic's rock and roll desk, productions for Bravo and Canadian Learning Television and recipient of the Canadian Music Industry's Awards for Television Personality of the Year (1994).

Writer/Director David Hyde has won numerous awards including a Gold Broadcasting Design Award, two MuchMusic Video Awards and the 2005 Best of the Fest at the Palm Springs International Film Festival. Producer Jay Armstrong has a resume that includes work on "Canadian Idol", "ET Canada", "CBC News" and "CTV News".

Yet more proof that Dundas Square is a huge success and will definitely transform over the years to become even better!

Could Dundas Square truly become Canada's media centre?

I dont see why not. It would be interesting to see all the major networks setting up satellite studios around Dundas Square. CTV, Global and now CityTV/Rogers already have tv's running in the square, and Global and City/Rogers now have studios within it.

I can see the ads on TLS being upgraded sooner than later with all this attention being brought to Dundas Square.

E!, the Canwest entertainment network, is launching its "E! News Weekend" program from a new studio location at Dundas Square in downtown Toronto.

"The E! Studios at Dundas Square located in the middle of Canada's entertainment capital at the Hard Rock Cafe really represent what the E! brand is," said Zev Shalev, Vice President, E!, Strategic Programming.

Would this be the Club 279 space on the second floor? (I've been in Club 279 for a private function late last year - it's a great view over Dundas Square).

I'm also glad to see CanWest's use of "Dundas Square", what should be the real name of the place, BIA or not.

Would this be the Club 279 space on the second floor? (I've been in Club 279 for a private function late last year - it's a great view over Dundas Square).

I'm also glad to see CanWest's use of "Dundas Square", what should be the real name of the place, BIA or not.

This is fantastic news however I don't see this being more than a satellite studio, probably a small presence like Q107 not the whole 2nd floor. I wonder if it will be live...

Yet more proof that Dundas Square is a huge success and will definitely transform over the years to become even better!

Remember that the Olympic Consolation Prize Fun Centre went belly up. It's only by a coincidence of corporate mergers and the resulting need for new facilities that media companies now want to nose their way into the retail and bright signage mecca that is Dundas Square.

This will definately improve signage in the area, now that a company's ad/brand will not just be visible to passers-by, but will also be visible to potentially hundreds of thousands on t.v. too.

With Canwest and Rogers/City in the Square, one might begin to wonder how long before CTV Globemedia waits before finding its own presence in the square.

CBC too I guess, but I doubt it in their case. It doesn't really seem to fit with their look (although, they do advertise a lot in the square already).

Back