News   Apr 18, 2024
 671     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 5.9K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2.4K     4 

Can't we all just get along? The car, bicycle, skateboard, pedestrian et al debate

I've often seen TTC drivers refuse to open their doors to someone who has crossed on the red to try and catch the bus / streetcar.

Rightly so - and it should be enforced to the T - beyond the issue of safety, it creates a disincentive to one of the major reasons for delays by passengers - by the time loading is complete, there is a good chance the streetcar would have missed another green cycle.

AoD

With TTC you never quite know when the next one is.

AoD
Yep.. I have done some stupid shit to catch the 501 because I KNOW the next one might never come. It's happened before.

Although some drivers choose to refuse to open the doors even though riders have crossed legally to reach it; just because he had a green light. Saw some chick just key the entire length of the streetcar when the driver wouldn't let us in.

Yep.. I have done some stupid shit to catch the 501 because I KNOW the next one might never come. It's happened before.

Although some drivers choose to refuse to open the doors even though riders have crossed legally to reach it; just because he had a green light. Saw some chick just key the entire length of the streetcar when the driver wouldn't let us in.

In the ideal world, one shouldn't have to rush because one'd know with high certainty that the next car isn't half an hour away. Now having said that rushing only causes further delays - and you'd end up with chicken and the egg. I tend to lean towards strict enforcement - that's the only path to punctuality.

AoD

Strict enforcement only works when there's strict enforcement of car spacing and schedules.

Tada surprise surprise, as expected, the TTC's 501 split experiment is turning into a shitshow because they stopped religiously spacing the cars on the Lake Shore run. Got to Humber, waited 15 mins for the streetcar to take me a few stops west and 3 showed up! Just to make it worse, the mobile supervisor lady was there. She didn't even chide the drivers.

I love when TTC riders risk their lives to catch a bus or a streetcar. Utter foolishness! Can't people just patiently wait for the next one?

Yah, people trying to get somewhere on time! Who knows when the next bus or streetcar will come! Funny stuff!

Wouldn't surprise me if it was distracted driving. I see idiot drivers on their phones all day long. They are threatening our lives.

There is a lot of distracted driving, true. But it takes a special kind of idiocy to attempt a lane change and then end up on the sidewalk at 90 degrees to the road.

Rightly so - and it should be enforced to the T - beyond the issue of safety, it creates a disincentive to one of the major reasons for delays by passengers - by the time loading is complete, there is a good chance the streetcar would have missed another green cycle.

AoD
If they'd put transit stop after the light, not before, this would be solved. Added bonus is that fool running across the red light won't be able to run in front of the bus.

Haven't seen any of the "new" far-side bus stops put in, where they actually "construct" one, instead of reusing existing road designs.

tumblr_nk6rqoVYZ21s5r3bco1_1280.png

sharedrtturn_bus.png

Isn't the rationale that it may block the intersection?

AoD
Not for cars turning right. And place the bus stop so that the back of the bus leaves sufficient space for traffic behind it to merge left without making illegal lane changes within the intersection.

How many pedestrians are struck when they've entered the roadspace with the right of way? So often I see people just step out into traffic, often within a throw of a cross walk.

Last edited:
How many pedestrians are stuck when they've entered the roadspace with the right of way? So often I see people just step out into traffic, often within a throw of a cross walk.
Yesterday when I was walking, I had to stop the same woman twice from stepping out into traffic on a red light -- she was on her phone.

"Jaywalking" was invented in the 1910's.

From link:

The earliest citation in the Oxford English Dictionary is from 1917. The term's dissemination was due, in part, to a deliberate effort by promoters of automobiles, such as local auto clubs and dealers, to redefine streets as places where pedestrians do not belong.

For example, a newspaper article introduced the term to readers in Grants Pass, Oregon in 1913:

"A campaign of ridicule directed toward the extermination of the "Jay Walker Family" was inaugurated [in Tacoma WA] today by the local automobile club. The "Jay Walker Family" according to explanations made today is numerous. It is composed of those pedestrians who cross congested streets without first looking to see if it is safe to do so. The local automobile club today adopted resolutions suggesting propaganda to be distributed all over the country to "kill off the Jay Walker Family." Automobile clubs all over the country ... will be asked to aid in exterminating "Mr. and Mrs. Jay Walker and all the little Walkers."

The word jaywalk is a compound word derived from the word jay, an inexperienced person and a curse word that originated in the early 1900s, and walk. No historical evidence supports an alternative folk etymology by which the word is traced to the letter "J" (characterizing the route a jaywalker might follow).

In towns in the American Midwest in the early 20th century, "jay" was a synonym for "rube", a pejorative term for a rural resident, assumed by many urbanites to be stupid, slightly unintelligent, or perhaps simply naïve. Such a person did not know to keep out of the way of other pedestrians and speeding automobiles.

Originally, the legal rule was that "all persons have an equal right in the highway, and that in exercising the right each shall take due care not to injure other users of the way." In time, however, streets became the province of motorized traffic, both practically and legally. Automobile interests in the USA took up the cause of labeling and scorning jaywalkers in the 1910s and early 1920s; a counter-campaign to name (and disapprove of) "jay drivers" failed.​

Back