867     3 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.3K     3 

Canadian Shows on U.S. TV

Dilla

Member Bio
Reaction score
New CTV show to air on CBS

Americans liked idea of cop show set in 'sexy' Toronto, Flashpoint executive producers say
Jan 30, 2008 04:30 AM
Bruce DeMara
Entertainment Reporter

CTV has scored a major coup with its upcoming new series Flashpoint, which will air on a major U.S. network – CBS – at the same time it runs on a Canadian network.

"It's very exciting for the production community and for CTV," said Susanne Boyce, CTV's president of creative content and channels.

"This is the first time since 1994 that a Canadian-produced and owned series is on a main American network. I call it great news on a dull January day," Boyce said, referring to the CTV series, Due South, which starred Paul Gross as a Mountie working in Chicago.

The network has previously scored similar successes on smaller U.S. networks with shows, notably Degrassi: The Next Generation and Corner Gas.

Even more exciting for executive producers Anne Marie La Traverse and Bill Mustos is that the series will be set in Toronto – an unusual move for a U.S. network – and a "sexy" Toronto at that.

"This is something that we have been working our whole careers to accomplish. So it feels really amazing," Mustos said.

"I think Toronto looks beautiful and it's also an incredibly sexy location the way we've shot it. I think (CBS executives) really, really responded to the aesthetics of the show and to the fact that Toronto is, yes, a sexy, beautiful city," La Traverse said, referring to the pilot, which was filmed here last summer.

Production ramps up in Toronto in April for a 13-episode run of the series, which stars Enrico Colantoni (of Veronica Mars, Just Shoot Me), Hugh Dillon (Durham County) and David Paetkau (Whistler).

While Canadian series and movies shown in the U.S. are rarely identified as taking place north of the border, La Traverse and Mustos said CBS executives welcomed the idea.

"When Anne Marie and I were in the meeting in L.A. with the CBS execs, they thought that it would be really interesting for their audience to see Toronto. For their audience, having the opportunity to see a kind of fresh location like Toronto – not Toronto disguised as Chicago but Toronto as Toronto – would actually make for a fresh way into a dramatic series," Mustos said.

Boyce agreed that kind of U.S.-centric thinking is disappearing. "I think we've grown up a bit about that stuff. They bought this series on the basis that they liked the scripts and the pilot."

The series – written by newcomers Mark Ellis and Stephanie Morgenstern as part of the network's Writer Only drama development program – is inspired by the real-life exploits of the Toronto Police Service Emergency Task Force dealing with high-risk situations involving firearms and hostages.

Unlike most cop shows, Flashpoint will have a stronger "emotional" heart, La Traverse said.

"What we wanted to examine in a really compelling way is what happens to those people who are heroes and what is the personal cost of what they do? What is the human cost of heroism?"

Nina Tassler, CBS president of entertainment, said that pitch is what hooked the network.

"The particular theme ... which we thought was so extraordinary and really appealing, was that the show would explore the human cost of heroism. That really resonated with us," Tassler said.

Tassler expressed confidence that U.S. audiences will be comfortable with a series set outside their borders.

She added that the strike by the Writers Guild of America played no part in the network's decision to greenlight the series.

CBS has been "aggressively combing the world" for new formats and ideas and is developing projects from other countries, including the U.K. and Israel. "It was about exploring and looking for new business models. We said that this was the year that we were really going to focus on finding new methods, new ideas, and this is what turned up," Tassler said.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

We're sexy! I can already visualize the helicopter shots of the skyline. It's always interesting to see T.O. in film, but it could be a lot more interesting if there's a good budget for this, and they don't have to pretend it's not Toronto (i.e., they can film at Queen's Park, City Hall, etc, without having to hide them).

We're sexy! I can already visualize the helicopter shots of the skyline. It's always interesting to see T.O. in film, but it could be a lot more interesting if there's a good budget for this, and they don't have to pretend it's not Toronto (i.e., they can film at Queen's Park, City Hall, etc, without having to hide them).

That sounds positive, because our landmarks will get more of the attention they deserve. It's pleasing to see CBS openly moving away from programming so centred around the U.S. It also has the potential to create more demand for film production in the city.

Who are they kidding. Without the writers strike they probably don't give this idea the time of day.

Hopefully it goes well though.

"The Border" on CBC also makes Toronto look VERY SEXY. I'm loving it!

EDIT: Just finished watching the 1st ep. of "The Border. Amazing show. It's smart, well written and features Toronto as Toronto. Agencies like CSIS and Canada Customs & Border Services are just as cool as the FBI now. :D

Kenny Vs. Spenny isn't glossy, cleverly scripted or sexy, but Toronto is Toronto in the show and it got picked up by Comedy Central last year. Comedy Central isn't CBS, but it's a very popular basic cable channel in the US.

Sort of off topic but I thought I would share the Canadian content that I get on TV in the Netherlands.

Most importantly, I get Hockey Night In Canada double headers on Saturday night (Sunday morning) and since they show the national game, I always get the Leaf game. Of course, this is on the North American Sports Network so it's not that surprising.

The new Degrassi is the Canadian show that I've seen on the main Dutch networks but the cable channels here are flooded with Canadian content.

The new CBC (?) show Intelligence is on high rotation on the Hallmark channel. Hallmark also had a series with Callum Keith Rennie set in Africa that I was watching until it disappeared. Sex with Sue seems to be on constantly. City's entertainment shows are on multiple networks. I've seen Egos and Icons from MuchMusic as well as the MuchMusic awards show. The Extreme Sports channel is filled with Drop-In type sports shows from BC. There's that men vs women talk show and several other talk shows that I think are usually on Star! or a similar station. The cartoon channel features a lot of made in Canada cartoons - they're even advertising a 'Raccoons' marathon.

Also, there seem to be an awful lot of true crime documentary type shows that are from Canada. Europeans must think that we have a heck of a lot of murders but I think they've covered every murder in Saskatchewan for the last 30 years.

My point is, we make a lot of TV content even if it isn't American network type stuff.

Wow. I had no idea there was so much Canadian media in Europe. I'd understand Quebec media in France, but I'm not really sure why the Netherlands would like our shows. Honestly, the quality isn't always there.

And another...

NBC Picks Up CTV's The Listener For U.S. Broadcast

The Listener (working title), a new CTV Original drama from Shaftesbury Films, will also air on NBC in the United States, it was confirmed today. It's the second time a CTV-developed Canadian series has been picked up for broadcast on a major U.S. network in primetime.

Produced by Toronto's Shaftesbury films, The Listener tells the story of a young man who can read people's thoughts, and acts on them. It's the first drama series from Shaftesbury Films to be broadcast in primetime on American network television. NBC has ordered 13 episodes of the one-hour drama series, which was green-lit by CTV last December. Set in Toronto, The Listener is currently in pre-production with shooting set to begin this spring.

Created by Michael Amo (Blessed Stranger: After Flight 111), The Listener was developed by CTV with Shaftesbury Films beginning in 2006 with a pilot directed by Clement Virgo (The Wire, Poor Boys Game) produced last summer. The Listener was part of CTV's first venture into pilot production in 2007. It was the first time CTV had ordered pilots as part of its development of new Canadian television series. The pilot order reinforced the network's priority in delivering critically-acclaimed Canadian programming enjoyed by the largest audiences possible.

The Listener is produced by Shaftesbury Films, (producers of CTV's No. 1 and No. 2 highest-rated TV movies, Eight Days to Live and In God's Country) in association with CTV and NBC. Executive producers are Emmy and Gemini
award-winning Christina Jennings (ReGenesis, The Murdoch Mysteries), Scott Garvie for Shaftesbury Films, Russ Cochrane (Whistler) and Michael Amo. The Listener is distributed in the United States by Program Partners.

The Listener sounds good but I think I've already seen a pilot of a tv series that used the same concept and didn't make it into a regular season.

I'm real glad that Canadian content is making it to the US. This strike has been great for us it turns out.

Wow. I had no idea there was so much Canadian media in Europe. I'd understand Quebec media in France, but I'm not really sure why the Netherlands would like our shows. Honestly, the quality isn't always there.

I would say that it's because most Dutch and European television isn't all that good. Even British TV isn't universally great. I think that those few great British shows that make it across the pond (The Office or Extras for example) and the great British shows that don't make it across the pond (Never Mind the Buzzcocks is a favourite of mine - check out youtube - and one of a number of great shows in that genre - QI is another) are the exception and shite like Two Pints of Lager and a Packet of Crisps is more the rule.

But in places like the Netherlands, specialty cable networks have exploded and they are desperate for content. The Netherlands only has 15 million people so they can't produce all that content themselves. The Dutch government-funded networks seem to be big on variety-type shows but honestly, I don't get down that end of the dial much so can't comment on quality.

Are they mainly subbed, dubbed or broadcast in English. I know that a huge proportion of Dutch speak servicable English, more curious if they are willing to sink money into dubbing or not.

I would say that it's because most Dutch and European television isn't all that good. Even British TV isn't universally great. I think that those few great British shows that make it across the pond (The Office or Extras for example) and the great British shows that don't make it across the pond (Never Mind the Buzzcocks is a favourite of mine - check out youtube - and one of a number of great shows in that genre - QI is another) are the exception and shite like Two Pints of Lager and a Packet of Crisps is more the rule..

I've a friend who comes over from the UK for a month or so each summer & crashes at my place. He brings stuff we can't get here on DVD (I have an all-region, PAL/NTSC DVD player) plus he occasionally keeps me up to date on anything of note on TV that's hot there via email exchanges. There's plenty of crap there too, but considerably more great TV is continuing to be produced in the UK that we don't know about. Programs like "Extras" is marketable abroad given Ricky Gervais's success with The Office franchise and his wildly successful podcasts. Last year we finally got a taste of the hilariously brilliant "Spaced" (1999-2001) but again, only because of the success of Simon Pegg's movies, "Shaun of the Dead" & "Hot Fuzz". There's also a complication of tightly produced independent programs which can turn out to be a hit but selling it abroad and licensing the music used in the show can be cost prohibitive.

Are they mainly subbed, dubbed or broadcast in English. I know that a huge proportion of Dutch speak servicable English, more curious if they are willing to sink money into dubbing or not.

The only programs that get dubbed are children's programs. Everything else is subbed. This is great for the foreigners like me except when in an English program there are characters speaking in a third language which is subtitled into English. In those cases, English subtitles are replaced with Dutch subtitles and I miss out on whatever the terra'ists are saying.

Back