News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 459     0 

Can retailers charge whatever they want for TTC tickets?

Admiral Beez

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
The shop on the northeast corner of Sackville and Gerrard in Cabbagetown is charging an extra fee on their TTC tickets. I don't take the TTC often, so i couldn't tell you what they're charging, but the fellow in front of me told the cashier that she can't charge extra for tickets, to which she replied it was her shop and she'll charge whatever she wants.

So, can shop charge whatever they want for TTC tickets? Maybe another good reason to do away with the tickets entirely.

Anyone can do whatever they want until they get a cease and desist letter in the mail. Use facebook to contact Giambrone. He's pretty good with responding though those channels.

Yes, but what are the rules? IIRC, you're not allowed to force retailers to charge a certain price for the items you sell them, as that's known as price fixing. This is why you have suggested retail prices.

I don't know the rules for retailers, but I know that metropass volume incentive plan participants are not allowed to mark up the prices.

It sounds very fishy to me.

I'm pretty sure Authorized Ticket Resellers are bound by contracts where they must sell tickets and passes for the same price as the TTC does, but they get a percentage of that for selling them.

I was under the impression that the ability to say "I carry TTC tickets" was an advertising benefit the stores received.

I once tried to buy TTC tickets at the convenience store in the building where I worked (it was definitely not a Ticket Agent, but I was in desperate need for some so I looked anywhere I could). The guy who runs the convenience store only sold single Adult tickets, at $2 apiece.

He also buys boxes of Lipton's soup and re-sells the soup packets at $1/ea.

Ya convenience stores are pretty shady.

When I worked at Bell Mobility's head office, the store in there also charged more for Mississauga Transit tickets.

If you regularly take journeys on routes that don't begin or end at subway stations, how are you supposed to buy the tickets if agents don't sell them?

Doesn't the TTC sell them online?

Only the Metropass Discount Program (the one-year commitment).

Month-to-month metropass sales are supposed to be part of the new website, and you'll be able to top up Presto cards online.

I seriously doubt that you'll ever be able to buy tickets and tokens online. The value isn't high enough for the TTC to absorb the cost of administering the online sales system - they would have to pass it on to you.

Back