Toronto The Birmingham | 13.11m | 1s | QuadReal | Ware Malcomb

DopeyFish

Member Bio
Reaction score

Proposal to turn Campbell's Soup factory into 3 large industrial buildings / warehouses

pictured is building 1, but there's layouts for the 3 buildings in the architectural plans... will take up a larger part of the lot than campbell's did.

campbell2.JPG

campbell1.JPG

Cambells3.JPG

also what's kinda neat is the historical facade is not considered protected but they decided to not only keep it but actually restore part of it that was lost during the 1980s renovation of the factory.

campbell4.JPG

Last edited:
QuadReal beginning to dabble in industrial is interesting but unsurprising. I am curious how long until other institutional investors who have long avoided industrial decide to jump in, especially post-Covid.

86 loading docks
any way to find out what kind of warehouse operations they are doing? as far as I know, QuadReal is a real-estate firm and isn't into warehousing/logistics, so who's the actual tenant?

Very nice that the area is being kept as industrial, and not being parceled off into detached homes. I'm also a sucker for restoration of brick facades, so I'm looking forward to this!

Ecommerce would be a logical choice, but the units are pretty small for the big players.

The dwarfed red heritage structure is a real disconnect from the massive grey and black endlessly expanded monolith from behind, IMO. Couldn't they come up with something better than this design wise?

The dwarfed red heritage structure is a real disconnect from the massive grey and black endlessly expanded monolith from behind, IMO. Couldn't they come up with something better than this design wise?
I wont complain too much, at least they went out of their way to preserve it even though the city didnt even bother to designate it as any form historical significance.

They could have just demolished the whole thing, and no one would've batted an eye. The city screwed up and dropped all the marbles, and QuadReal is picking them up.

For me the important thing here is that this is staying as industrial zoned lands. I'm not enthusiatic about the warehouses, but its much better then having rows of townhouses littered on this key parcel of land.

I wont complain too much, at least they went out of their way to preserve it even though the city didnt even bother to designate it as any form historical significance.

They could have just demolished the whole thing, and no one would've batted an eye. The city screwed up and dropped all the marbles, and QuadReal is picking them up.

For me the important thing here is that this is staying as industrial zoned lands. I'm not enthusiatic about the warehouses, but its much better then having rows of townhouses littered on this key parcel of land.
If you wipe out all the industrial parks, where are the factories that make those townhouses in part come alive go? As well as, the people who rely on them to make an income to live in said townhouses...

...not so to say you are arguing or advocating for that. But one has to be really careful here what they wish for here.

That said, and more on topic...I agree that I am glad they are preserving the heritage potion. But I am dismayed they are replacing the rest disused factory with something far more hideous regardless of it's purposes.

"Very nice that the area is being kept as industrial, and not being parceled off into detached homes. I'm also a sucker for restoration of brick facades, so I'm looking forward to this!"

Hey! Resident of the neighbourhood here. A few of us are unsure about the effect of a distribution facility of this size on our community. You seem like you support it. Can you take a second to point us in the direction of learning more about why this may be a good thing?

It's good for employment and the overall servicing of the city. Distribution centres are critical infrastructure.

The main downside would be truck traffic and potentially noise, but this is an industrial area.

Back