Cambridge Cambridge Mill Hotel & Residences | 142.78m | 37s | Pearle Hospitality | Martin Simmons

Bjays92

Member Bio
Reaction score
Massive hotel development proposed by the owners of the cambridge mill right downtown galt. 2 towers, 28 & 37s and looks excellent.

Cambridge Mill.jpeg

This also currently sits as a parking lot

Massive hotel development proposed by the owners of the cambridge mill right downtown galt. 2 towers, 28 & 37s and looks excellent.

View attachment 318800

This also currently sits as a parking lot

Article on this development (from CBC): https://www.cambridgetimes.ca/news-...bridge-development-will-be-boon-for-business/

Two views presented, a local resident whose view will be impaired, but basically is YIMBY (pro development here).

While the local councillor seems much less enthused, noting a previous iteration of this proposal (a hotel on this site) was approved in 2015 at 12 storeys.

Cambridge council discusses proposed high rises in Galt

June 29, 2021

A pair of sky-high buildings proposed along the Grand River were up for discussion at Cambridge council on Tuesday.

Councillors heard from the public about the proposal, which would include the tallest buildings in Galt.

The buildings are 28 and 37 storeys. Some delegates had concerns about the buildings.

"I believe strongly that the placement of two high-rise towers, alarmingly high-rise, 37 storeys and 28 storeys, along the river where proposed, would be inconsistent with the historic character and charm of Galt," delegate Michael Bean said.

Councillor Nicholas Ermeta said when it comes to the skyline of a community like Cambridge, it only takes one mistake to screw it up.

"From my perspective, we do need to protect the character of downtown," he said. "It is very unique in the province of Ontario and across the country, and once you lose that character, you don't get it back."

Many others, however, gave the proposal a thumbs up.

"A development of this nature has a huge opportunity not just to support our downtown core that desperately needs a more vibrant and bigger population, more consumers, more business traffic," delegate Darren Drouillard said. "I see this development as something that, for decades, my generation and other generations in this community have begged for."

The proposed towers would include 150 hotel suites, 250 condo units and retail and food space.

Council ultimately did approve the project onto the next phase. That does not mean it is a done deal.

Staff will now look at the plans and come back to council with a recommendation based on community feedback from Tuesday's meeting is expected back before council in the fall.

Cambridge council discusses proposed high rises in Galt

June 29, 2021

Very positive sign. I am pleasantly surprised and from what I'm hearing it seems like this has a pretty good chance at getting built with minimal alterations

Narrowly approved as is. Huge win for Cambridge, and a much needed injection of life into the downtown core. I expect this will be a high quality development that will be the crown jewel of cambridge for some time. It will be the tallest in the city by far and among the tallest buildings in the region.

Wow, really surprised and pleased a tower this high was approved by council. If Cambridge can build towers above 30 stories, so too can places where it's been shunned like Port Credit, Downtown Oakville, Milton, Aurora, etc.

Last edited:

Cambridge Mill towers developer asks city to bump its brownfield cleanup grant to $4.8 million

Mar 2, 2023

Anyone know of any updates on whether this got approved or has seen any action at all?

Article also mentioned the two-phase approach, with podium and one tower first, then a second tower later on. Curious if anyone has thoughts on which would come first? City doesn't seem to know (which I find a bit odd, but whatever).
I'd argue the hotel comes first, then use that to sell condo units to wealthy guests. But I could also make the argument that the condo tower comes first to make a larger return off of initially, which then (mostly?) pays for the hotel tower.

Had a conversation with someone involved on this project. Parking garage across the street will be the first aspect of the project to get moving, and should be starting... soon? That's as specific as we were able to get lol. But very much appears that current market and interest rates are not holding back this project, which is fantastic. Going to submit finalized SPA to the city sometime in Q1 2024 it sounds like.

Back