News   Jul 22, 2024
 743     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 504     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 539     0 

CAA: Want to help the environment? Drive Less.

J

Jarrek

edition.cnn.com/2006/WORL...index.html

OTTAWA, Canada (Reuters) -- Canada's largest club for drivers, the Canadian Automobile Association, Monday urged its members to spend less time behind the wheel and said this would help fight climate change and boost air quality.

The club which has 4.9 million members, also backed the idea of mandatory fuel efficiency standards for car makers. It said Canadians needed to "change their behavior and mind-set," with car-pooling, car-sharing and using public transport.

"We see climate change as being one of the major issues that is going to be confronting the country and the world over the next 15 to 20 years," CAA president David Flewelling said.

"We're...seeing a shift in attitude on the part of Canadians and we want to help them in terms of 'How do I do something that's environmentally responsible?"'

Vehicles account for a quarter of Canada's booming emissions of greenhouse gases, which most scientists say are a major cause of global warming.

The Conservative government, which says Canada has no chance of meeting its target for emissions cuts set out by the Kyoto protocol on climate change, is under increasing pressure to introduce a comprehensive plan to fight global warming.

Canada's largest club for drivers, the Canadian Automobile Association, Monday urged its members to spend less time behind the wheel and said this would help fight climate change and boost air quality.

My god, the brilliance of this discovery...

They're currently doing a study on whether more cars creates greater traffic- stay tuned.

Bogtrotter wrote:

They're currently doing a study on whether more cars creates greater traffic- stay tuned.

Cars don't create traffic. People create traffic.

Or somethin' like that from the National Rifle Association. Charlton Heston (I think).

Signed,
The Mississauga Muse

Hard to reconcile this with their plan for an expressway across Lake Ontario. Perhaps they want the expressway to be built so that their membership can feel good about themselves if they choose not to drive on it once in a while. Yknow, save the whales kind of stuff.

When I was in England there was a TV news item claiming that by 2050 there will be more pollution created by aircraft than by automobiles, if trends towards cheap flights and mass tourism continue.

Back