News   Mar 28, 2024
 106     0 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.4K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.2K     2 

Byford and Keesmaat Departure Countdown...?

NorthYorkEd

Member Bio
Reaction score
I have a lot of respect and admiration for both of these individuals. They are great assets to our city. However, I'm not sure we are going to be able to hang onto them.

Byford means well and has made great strides. But I don't think the quagmire of systemic incompetence and corruption and decades of neglect can be overcome. The poor man is hog-tied and constantly being chopped off at the knees. I think he will get frustrated to the point of wanting out.

Keesmaat has learned a harsh lesson that the powers-that-be are not going to be bothered with things like facts, expert opinions, or detailed studies. They will do what is best for them, their friends, and their political careers, while attempting to stifle any free exchange of ideas that they do not control. She, too, will eventually look for a city more receptive to her knowledge and skills.

Of course, I hope I am dead wrong. My hope is that both will remain in their jobs and continue pushing for a better city, in spite of our politicians and their aversion to progress if it might cost them a vote or a seat at the right banquet.

City of Toronto doesn't need urban planners anymore, now they have John Tory. John Tory should be a true conservative and just fire Keesmaat and the rest of the planning staff and save taxpayer money. You can hire any "yes" men off the street for much lower salary because clearly that is the most that is needed now.

City of Toronto doesn't need urban planners anymore, now they have John Tory. John Tory should be a true conservative and just fire Keesmaat and the rest of the planning staff and save taxpayer money. You can hire any "yes" men off the street for much lower salary because clearly that is the most that is needed now.

+1. Next up from Tory will be an insane routing for the Scarborough subway and behind the scenes marshalling suburban councillors to approve jets at the Island (even though he claims he'll recuse himself). Who needs planners when you have Denzil Minnan-Wong as a brain?

When Webster was fired, they said he had 1 year left on his contract that had to be paid out. When will the contract expire for Keesmat and Byford. I imagine that Keesmat would not be renewed and Byford would.

Keesmaat has learned a harsh lesson that the powers-that-be are not going to be bothered with things like facts, expert opinions, or detailed studies. They will do what is best for them, their friends, and their political careers, while attempting to stifle any free exchange of ideas that they do not control. She, too, will eventually look for a city more receptive to her knowledge and skills.

Politicians serve the people, not bureaucrats. If you want policy only driven by "expert" opinion and studies, dispense with democracy or elect only bureaucrats.

Politicians serve the people...

Ha, ha, ha -- that's rich. Sure, it's supposed to work that way. But do you honestly believe that to be true?

If you want policy only driven by "expert" opinion and studies, dispense with democracy or elect only bureaucrats.

Policy shouldn't be driven by expert opinion. It should be informed by it. We have emperor leaders who think they are smarter than everyone else and disregard anything that does not fit into their narrow worldview, which is usually focused on their own personal agenda.

So you've comfortably jumped from being a Ford fan to a Tory toady. Good work.

I get that it's a trope for extremists to paint anyone who doesn't foam at the mouth with hate for Tory as a Ford supporter, but it's getting a bit pathetic. It's Ford level intelligence.

I can't imagine anyone "foaming at the mouth with hate for Tory". More like "swallowing a tiny bit of spittle in anticipated disappointment for Tory because he's not even living up to the tiny, thin sliver of hope that he could elevate things just a tiny, little bit like he said he would."

I can't imagine anyone "foaming at the mouth with hate for Tory". More like "swallowing a tiny bit of spittle in anticipated disappointment for Tory because he's not even living up to the tiny, thin sliver of hope that he could elevate things just a tiny, little bit like he said he would."

If you can't acknowledge that his presence at City Hall has elevated things post Ford, then you might as well be foaming. Being in lockstep with your personal views isn't his job.

Politicians serve the people, not bureaucrats. If you want policy only driven by "expert" opinion and studies, dispense with democracy or elect only bureaucrats.

Given the experiences from the past four years, that might not have been such a bad idea. I take the "serving the people" bit with a large, large grain of salt.

AoD

Careful. Once upon a time bureaucrats proposed such things like the Spadina Expressway and called it sound planning.

Of course, and once upon that time elected officials sucked it all up and pushed it onto an unwilling member of the municipality as well.

AoD

If Tory really did want to get rid of Byford and/or Keesmaat, who would he like to see replace them?

Back