1.8K     4 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 672     0 

Burned out street lights downtown

dt_toronto_geek

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Has anyone here who lives in the general area bordered by Bay to Sherbourne, & Bloor to Carlton noticed all of the street lights that are burned out? In the past five or six weeks I've filled out the form on Toronto Hydro's website (https://www.thenergyservices.com/streetlighting/street_light_outages/index.cfm) and I've phoned them twice but they don't seem to be responding. In past years I've phoned or shot them off the odd pole number using their website when a light is been burned out near my home and I would notice that it will be repaired within perhaps 2-5 days which was terrific.
Late last Saturday night I cycled around and zig-zagged along streets between Bloor to Wellesley & Jarvis to Bay, randomly writing down pole numbers or street addresses when no pole number was available. By no means did I get a complete list, but I noted 84 street lights that were burned out and I did not include any on Yonge Street. I called them again to report all the details of what I had collected that night.
So I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed this and also curious if anyone has any insight as to why they are neglecting street lights this year?

There's been a lot out in my neighbourhood. I don't normally bother worrying, but it started to get very dark in spots. I phone 4 in and they fixed within a few days. I phoned 4 more (one burned out in a few days) a month later and they got done quick (and they had to rewire one - not sure it had worked in years). I reported 2 on the web form a fortnight ago and nothing happened. Pretty soon I might actually be able to pass down the alley near my house without any fear of tripping over something I can't see lying in the path!

wow. Last year we had a stretch of the Gardiner between Reese and Spadina that had all the Street Lights out and it took them all summer to fix it, despite numerous complaints.

There's been no street lighting on either side of Yonge between Gerrard and Hayter for a couple of weeks now.

There IS a place to report defective street-lights on the Toronto Hydro website. From my experience they do fix them - slowly - if told... Go to: https://www.thenergyservices.com/streetlighting/street_light_outages/index.cfm

As I indicated, been there - done that

There's been no street lighting on either side of Yonge between Gerrard and Hayter for a couple of weeks now.

There are a couple of dozen between burned out on Yonge between College & Bloor

On a positive note, I noticed last night that all except one light on Wellesley East have been repaired, save for one outside the subway entrance. Hopefully this indicates that they are finally onto them.

Not really....if the breaker feeding them opened, they'd all go out.

That looks to be the problem on Jarvis and Mt. Pleasant north of Charles Street, but the rest of the lights out are random.

Energy Conservation?

Think of all the electricity being saved by having all those lights off!
Just kidding, obviously we want the streets and sidewalks to be properly lit.

On St. Clair W many of the new lights installed along the Streetcar ROW have been on 24 hours a day. I informed Hydro through their website and they called and left a message asking for more details. When I called back I gave them the details on 29 lights that were on, on a bright sunny day, between Avenue Rd. and Bathurst. I noticed that the 3 just west of Loblaws near Bathurst were still on this afternoon. I'll have to check on the others.

Anyone now the wattage of these lights?

Back