News   Mar 28, 2024
 200     0 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 2K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.3K     2 

Building enclosed rooms on large balcony -- possible or not?

I don't think it's very likely that the above modification goes though.

I recently bought a condo at 295 adelaide a few months back and was looking to install a wall to convert the main area washroom into a private powder room.

What do you all think about the odds of this getting approved by the condo board?

Do I even need to ask?

Thank you.

View attachment 183425
If I understand the 'before' plan, it's a share tub, like with two sliders? Weird.

Others here are more in touch with condo law so I'll those issues to them, but as mentioned in an early post, even if the Board agrees, you are still bound by building code. You would be creating two spaces out of one, which might impact things like ventilation, electrical, etc. (bathroom rules are particularly distinct). Also, both the Board and municipality (cuz you need a permit) would be interested how you plan to construct the wall, tie it in to the roof and floor

If I understand the 'before' plan, it's a share tub, like with two sliders? Weird.

Others here are more in touch with condo law so I'll those issues to them, but as mentioned in an early post, even if the Board agrees, you are still bound by building code. You would be creating two spaces out of one, which might impact things like ventilation, electrical, etc. (bathroom rules are particularly distinct). Also, both the Board and municipality (cuz you need a permit) would be interested how you plan to construct the wall, tie it in to the roof and floor

Thanks for the insight. Yes, it's a shared shower.

Any thoughts on whether a big sliding door would be easier to approve/not need approval? I would either install one big one (instead of a wall) or replace the shower door on one side with a big thick door floor to ceiling.

It'd be a similar sliding door as the ones regularly seen in condos, like in dens.

Thank you

Thanks for the insight. Yes, it's a shared shower.

Any thoughts on whether a big sliding door would be easier to approve/not need approval? I would either install one big one (instead of a wall) or replace the shower door on one side with a big thick door floor to ceiling.

It'd be a similar sliding door as the ones regularly seen in condos, like in dens.

Thank you

I really have no idea - it's a pretty unusual and unconventional solution to a pretty unconventional original design. I'm wondering what you think a sliding door would gain you over a sliding shower door, other than a very slight improvement in privacy. One problem I foresee is the current shower door joining the two rooms is watertight - it is caulked to the tub. A conventional sliding door is not a waterproof structure and would be just up against the tub. I don't see it as a way to dodge a permit (and perhaps Board approval but I don't really know that part). Normally, a door creates a room. It would be interesting to know if the municipality considers the current set-up one room or two (the building department, not the developer's brochure). Creating two otherwise distinct spaces by the use of a shower door is unusual. If they consider it one I would think your challenges are greater; if two perhaps less so(all other bathroom code rules aside). Asking questions and showing your drawings to the building department and the Board is a good and inexpensive start.

I strongly doubt that you can do this without the permission of the Condo Board and possibly an Agreement under Section 98 of the Act. Frankly, it looks quite odd to me but .....

Thank you.

When someone's over I just don't want them to be freaked out by the shower and seeing the other side. I don't anticipate two people will be using both sides at the same time anyways, it's just for the guest's peace of mind.

My sliding door would be outside the shower door, so that there are "two doors" between the shower head and the guest toilet,(the shower door + new sliding door). In theory the sliding door should keep the water in the tub, but water damage is def something to keep in mind.

For what it's worth these units were all marketed as two bathrooms.

As mentioned, marketing statements and building code rules are two vastly different things. Perhaps an opaque applique on the dry side of the glass and a piece of wood or something similar in the track to indicate that it can't be opened from the other side while occupied. You could also remove the handle from the tub side but that would not be visible. Or a sign that says 'this doesn't open', or something. There seems to be a number of 'piece of mind' options that are cheaper, less permanent and don't alter the original design.

1202-295-adelaide-street-west-toronto-C4281005-19.jpg

from a zolo listing
https://www.zolo.ca/toronto-real-estate/295-adelaide-street-west/1202

video walkthrough of another unit

yes, it would be lovely if Toronto condos offered window systems like this --

https://lumon.com/sites/default/fil...ith_retractable_glass_partly_open-750x595.jpg

Condos in Toronto are generally stingy in the size and number of windows that open.
Mattamys Cornell Condominiums in Markham had Lumon enclosures on a majority of its units. To my knowledge it was the first new build in Ontario to feature this product, with it being quite popular in British Columbia and obviously Scandanavia. I also don't believe it impacted the GFA of the building with the balconies being enclosed.

88 Queen East is also suppose to have them on the podium.

Back