Toronto 20 Front West | 172.4m | 52s | Brookfield | KPMB

Geekaroo

Member Bio
Reaction score
Just wandering the PATH. All mention of BCE has been removed from the PATH and atrium space. The complex is now called Brookfield Place with the TD Canada Trust Tower and the Bay Wellington Tower. Even the www.bceplace.com website now points to brookfieldproperties.com

Apparently the BCE naming rights have expired, and Brookfield has elected to take the name.

Going to be weird to see that name fade into memory.

It is kinda sad. This is all too similar to the Skydome-Rogers Centre fiasco.

It is kinda sad. This is all too similar to the Skydome-Rogers Centre fiasco.

I agree. I don't think any name change would be more depressing than the Skydome-Rogers Centre name change, unless the Rogers buys the CN Tower and names it Rogers Antenna. At least Brookfield Place has a decent ring to it.

BCE Place was never a name that meant much, as not all that many people know what BCE is.

Brookfield Place sounds more like a suburban shopping centre that a brook and field were just plowed under for.

Brascan Place - now that name has weight. Call the marketing department!

not too many people know its bce place??

I bet if you randomly asked people in downtown Toronto where marche's was located, I'm sure they would say BCE place, vs. the street intersection, or "over there" (while pointing to the general direction).

Not as bad as SkyDome or National Trade Centre, but almost as bad as the O'Keefe Centre or Paramount Theatre renames.

What next? Eaton Centre becomes Cadillac-Fairview Place? Eaton's doesn't exist.

I guess the name bugs me mostly because it sounds so generic.

I'm not all that upset since BCE itself is just an acronym used to disguise its historic business name. I definitely agree that Brascan Place would be cooler. I don't understand why they had to retire the name. Sounds like executives needing to be seen doing something.

Maybe they should outlaw the selling of naming rights for limited periods of time. If you pay for naming rights, you own them for as long as that building stands. I wonder what the folks at O'Keefe would have thought if they knew what would happen to the name of the building they funded?

BCE Place was never a name that meant much, as not all that many people know what BCE is.

Brookfield Place sounds more like a suburban shopping centre that a brook and field were just plowed under for.

Brascan Place - now that name has weight. Call the marketing department!

What about Baskin 31 Robbins Place?

This is nothing close to how bad the skydome renaming was.... no comparison.

Back