News   Mar 28, 2024
 950     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 538     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 833     0 

Broadview Extension Environmental Assessment (City of Toronto)

Allandale25

Member Bio
Reaction score
I didn't see a thread already for this.

Recieved via email today.

Notice of Commencement for the Broadview Extension Environmental Assessment (Broadview Extension EA).

The EA continues work completed in the 2017 Port Lands Transportation and Servicing Master Plan (TSMP), which satisfied Phases 1 and 2 of the Municipal Class EA process. The EA will complete Phases 3 and 4 and is developing conceptual designs and recommendations for:
Broadview Avenue extension, between Eastern Avenue and Lake Shore Boulevard
New East-West Street, between Don Roadway and Booth Avenue in the Unilever Precinct

The EA is also developing and evaluating alternative solutions for the design of the Eastern Avenue on-ramp to the Don Valley Parkway north and will consider options to improve access to the Don Valley Parkway.

The EA is being coordinated with other studies and local projects underway in the area including the Broadview and Eastern Flood Protection Project (led by Toronto and Region Conservation Authority), the East Harbour Station Design (led by Metrolinx), Lake Shore Boulevard East Public Realm Design (led by Waterfront Toronto) and the Gardiner Expressway East Reconfiguration (led by City of Toronto), and other initiatives.

More information is available in the notice attached (being delivered to residents and businesses in the study area beginning this week), and on the project website: www.toronto.ca/broadviewextension

A couple of Screenshots from the website linked above:

1605557832019.png

1605557859825.png

Though the new complete street may well contain a dedicated streetcar right of way, I am betting it will not actually see any streetcars for decades! I hope I lose the bet but ....

Perhaps I'm being optimistic, but I'm hoping by your 90th B-day! 🙂

Surely the extension wouldn't bend so far to the east, but if it did, how hilarious would it be see a company called "Roadway Alignment" expropriated for a roadway alignment?
Capture.JPG

Surely the extension wouldn't bend so far to the east, but if it did, how hilarious would it be see a company called "Roadway Alignment" expropriated for a roadway alignment?
View attachment 283226

Well now....

You just might get your wish.

Here is the Streetview from Broadview, north side of Sunlight Park Road, roughly on the centreline, looking south.

1605562146954.png

That white truck, with the red letters belongs to whom??

If you guessed:

1605562250413.png

You'd be right!

Now, I don't know how wide the new Broadview will be............but I know the existing one at Sunlight Park Road is ~20M wide.

The description above, 2 dedicated transit lanes, 2 vehicle lanes, separated cycle tracks and wide sidewalks sounds like the section of Cherry St south of King to me.

So I measured that road way at ~34M wide.

I then took the Streetview below with a 34M width superimposed as a white line on the south side of the intersection.

1605562625541.png

Hm, I never new "complete street" meant one vehicle lane per direction. Seems kind of early to limit capacity like that before even getting into the EA stage, not to mention trip forecasting and mode split. I guess we just use a one-size-fits-all model for planning now..

Hm, I never new "complete street" meant one vehicle lane per direction. Seems kind of early to limit capacity like that before even getting into the EA stage, not to mention trip forecasting and mode split. I guess we just use a one-size-fits-all model for planning now..

Complete Street does not mean that.

It means all modes accommodated.

Given that the existing road is only 20M wide; and they appear to favour 34M for the new segment this is not exactly an insubstantial proposal.

Keep in mind, any traffic flowing north on the new Broadview will then intersect (and have to squeeze onto), the existing Broadview.

The existing Broadview is not the subject of any E.A. and won't be widened.

That would limit the existing Broadview to one-lane each way; at most times now due to parking in the curb lanes.

I think your criticism here is misplaced.

Complete Street does not mean that.

It means all modes accommodated.

Given that the existing road is only 20M wide; and they appear to favour 34M for the new segment this is not exactly an insubstantial proposal.

Keep in mind, any traffic flowing north on the new Broadview will then intersect (and have to squeeze onto), the existing Broadview.

The existing Broadview is not the subject of any E.A. and won't be widened.

That would limit the existing Broadview to one-lane each way; at most times now due to parking in the curb lanes.

I think your criticism here is misplaced.

Thanks, you bring up some very valid points. I didn't think much of the transition to the existing Broadview alignment, and I'd definitely rather see cycling facilities than a second lane of parked cars.

My initial resentment was definitely over the default approach being a single auto lane, considering the major hub anticipated on the Unilever lands, but the connection to the existing road may limit options. I hope that they at least look into providing left-turn storage lanes at intersections to allow reasonable intersection capacity.

So many streets in the city should be rebuilt like this!

In terms of complete streets in principle, I agree with you completely.

But I would add as a caveat, widening many roads, particularly closer to the core to 34M would knock down buildings on one or both sides, many of them heritage.

Accommodating all of these features on many roads isn't practical.

That said, it can totally be done for several; including almost every six-lane road in the City; and on some 4-lane roads that either have exceptionally wide boulevards and/or centre turning lanes.

In the core we will have to choose.

We should absolutely remove vehicle lanes, but its likely that the choice will be cycle tracks or transit-exclusive ROW, not both; in most corridors.

If you are looking for the alignment you should visit the East Harbour thread, as the alignment has been pretty developed there for about 2 years now.

Ah these bring back memories of making these exact drawings at my old office. :)

Do we know how Broadview streetcar service is going to be operated once this is built? I can't imagine service on the 505 and 504 staying the same. They could maybe reroute the 505 onto Gerrard to Main with the 506 and then run a new line all the way down Broadview from Danforth to Commissioners?

Back