News   Apr 16, 2024
 431     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 2.6K     7 

British EU Membership Referendum of 2016

Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the European Union or leave the European Union?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Johnny Au

Member Bio
Reaction score
Near the North York, York, & Old Toronto tripoint
I find it surprising that there isn't a thread about the British EU Membership Referendum of 2016, aka Brexit or Bremain.

Right now, it is a statistical dead heat.

Please vote in the above poll and state your rationale. The poll here is open for 24 hours. If you are neutral, then don't vote.

I am neutral and therefore, I didn't vote.

As a Brit-born Canuck, I guess my UK passport will have to change. I got my Canadian-born kids UK passports in the hope they could travel and study in Europe without Visas or onerous applications. I can totally see why the British people voted as they did, the layers of bureaucracy and interference from Brussels and lack of control over immigration would madden many.

I'm interested to see how the Scots voted. If they all voted to stay with EU then Scotland may try to breakaway and rejoin the EU.

The referendum is officially non-binding, so parliament still has to create a bill and vote on it. David Cameron said he will resign by the fall.

Scotland voted 62 per cent in favour of staying in the EU and stated they will press for a new referendum on whether to become independent. Ireland voted 56% to stay and are voicing similar concerns.
Actually Ireland IS an EU member, the vote was in Northern Ireland - where they voted 55.8% to remain. Scotland is now saying they will vote again on separating from UK (last vote was in 2014 with 44.7% in favour) and in Northern Ireland there is talk (and probably only talk!) of voting on joining (re-joining) the rest of Ireland. Though I can understand the wish to leave EU I think they will really regret doing this and bet the next few years are very difficult in UK (or what remains of it.)

I'm interested to see how the Scots voted. If they all voted to stay with EU then Scotland may try to breakaway and rejoin the EU.

All regions majority against Brexit - and noises are already being made about a second referendum. David Cameron definitely made the history books.

AoD

The resignation letter would be a fun write.

AoD
Why would he resign - as the central banker he simply stated (as is his job) that a Brexit would damage the UK economy - the results this morning with a plummeting pound and sinking stocks show he was right. Investors hate uncertain and the leave negotiations will be VERY uncertain once the 2 -year period starts (after the UK Government triggers Article 50 of EU 'constitution'.

Why would he resign - as the central banker he simply stated (as is his job) that a Brexit would damage the UK economy - the results this morning with a plummeting pound and sinking stocks show he was right. Investors hate uncertain and the leave negotiations will be VERY uncertain once the 2 -year period starts (after the UK Government triggers Article 50 of EU 'constitution'.

It's not going to be fun dealing with the incoming PM, whoever that maybe, given Carney probably extended himself a bit too much in the debate, esp. in the eyes of the powers that/to be. Besides, this is probably only the first salvo - can you imagine what he'd have to say with what is likely SNP referendum 2? I can't imagine a more toxic position than the one he is currently occupying. His personal background wouldn't help either.

AoD

Last edited:
Last edited:
My guess is that under threat of national dissolution and the breakaway of Scotland, London decides to stay within the EU.

Granted it is a non-binding referendum, but it boggles the mind how that piece of the humble pie will be served and who will be tasked to eat it - especially after all the rhetoric about the people have chosen, etc. Who will fall on that sword - one already did.

AoD

Back