2.4K     4 

Brampton Transit/Zum

From the above:

1712258447496.png

1712258462684.png

1712258488809.png

1712258509994.png

I went to the Bramalea PIC just now, and here’s what I can report:

Yes, the 501C will make all stops on Highway 7 in Vaughan, making it by far the most frequent service on any Viva rapidway during rush hours. The 407 tolls are ridiculously expensive.

The Bolton bus is assumed by Brampton Transit at the end of the month, on a simplified two-way route, with new stops on Highway 50 to serve industry. It will be peak service for now. It will be numbered Route 41.

Route 10 South Industrial will be numbered at some point.

January, February, and March ridership data is out. How much ridership? All of the ridership. Even February at 3.4 million.

From the above:

1712955064553.png

The year over year percents are tracked by the month, so I will add those:

January '24 - 14%
February '24 - 25%
March '24 - 9.5%

That's a lot of month to month volatility! - more so last year than this year. Part of that is the leap year, of course.

Still, explosive growth!

Bolton service (41) will be in service starting on April 29, it has already been implemented in the transit schedules. It seems like it will only be running every 2 hours but if ridership does well we could see an increase as we did with the 81 which is the other route that goes into Caledon.

1712966714206.png

1712966835696.png

Bolton service (41) will be in service starting on April 29, it has already been implemented in the transit schedules. It seems like it will only be running every 2 hours but if ridership does well we could see an increase as we did with the 81 which is the other route that goes into Caledon.

View attachment 555883
View attachment 555888
I think that it is both a trial thing, and also Brampton Transit has a shortage of buses. I would expect next year to bump it up to hourly service by adding one bus, as BT vehicle access improves, and the route demonstrates it doesn't need to be subsidized as much. I have heard from people within BT that Caledon got a notably better deal than a for profit corporation would.

I think that it is both a trial thing, and also Brampton Transit has a shortage of buses. I would expect next year to bump it up to hourly service by adding one bus, as BT vehicle access improves, and the route demonstrates it doesn't need to be subsidized as much. I have heard from people within BT that Caledon got a notably better deal than a for profit corporation would.
Its cool that they still tried to do this despite the shortage. Hopefully in the long run we do see an increase as it’s great to see the better local transit agency do this, the ones that can actually improve the service, and its bidirectional too. No shade to YRT, but if they even got to Bolton first then there would be no guarantee as to what service they would provide.

5 trips only, every 2 hours during peak only, and the route is called ‘41 Bolton’ according to Google Maps.

1712976434586.png

It’s already a better route than the old Bolton Bus Caledon ran (contracted to Voyago), as it’s not a loop, and it will offer free transfers on a BT fare, which Caledon did not.

Brampton too can only operate what Caledon tells them to, as it’s a contract route.

I talked to Brampton Transit staff during their public information sessions:
There is a Hydrogen Bus Pilot in the works, challenge is sourcing the Hydrogen infrastructure.
There is consideration of altering the 505C from Malton GO bus loop and continuing on straight to Airport. They are going to engage MiWay about the horrible design issues for dangerous connections at Malton through open parking lots.
Also consideration of cutting out the 14A stop at Westwood Mall for the TTC connection. I told them to leave it in as I see a lot of student commuters coming from that way, also the cheapest way to reach the TTC without heading into Vaughan.

The 3rd Transit Maintenance Facility on highway 50 is progressing and breaking ground this year. I was told the province pulled their portion of funding, it was originally announced all 3 levels of governments were contributing to the $150M total. It's still planned to begin phase 1 this year.

Last edited:
Its nice to see the 15 and 30 getting (basically) 20 mins Saturday service. 9 getting weekend service in general is great, and hopefully it is timed for those who connect to the GO train at Mount Pleasant.

50 getting a routing change in Etobicoke is really unexpected, but I understand it. The Sikh Spiritual Center and the Flea Market are places of interest especially during weekends.

As someone above mentioned, it’s really insane that they never pay attention to the 501 anymore. 501C getting reduced makes sense that its the off peak season for York U, but also how costly the 407 is for BT. But those extra buses could’ve been used to increase service on the 501.

Back