621     0 
News   Sep 26, 2024
 1.3K     3 
News   Sep 26, 2024
 711     0 

Brampton snaps!

D

Darkstar416

simply Dan and myself headed to Peel Region this past weekend to take some pics of some of the developments and public spaces west of mighty T.O.

We'll start with Brampton and one of the largest construction projects in the province (which actually gets very little talk on this forum). I'm talking about the new William Osler Health Centre on Bovaird Drive.

This is the back of the hospital from Peter Robertson Drive.
DSCN0252.jpg

The controversial public-private partnership (P3) hospital will cost $550 million to build and will feature 608 hospital beds.
DSCN0253.jpg

Construction began in November 2004 and the first phase of the hospital is scheduled to open sometime in 2008.
DSCN0254.jpg

The hospital will also have 20 operation rooms and over 1.2 million ft² of space. It will be able to accommodate 90,000 emergency visits, 110,000 outpatient visits and 4,250 births per annum.
DSCN0255.jpg

Yes, I'm getting this info from a press release, but apparently more than 750 workers are involved in the construction of Brampton's new hospital.
DSCN0256.jpg

This is a side-view from Bramalea Road.
DSCN0257.jpg

Not much to look at, but this is the front of the building from Bovaird Drive.
DSCN0258.jpg

Another front view.
DSCN0259.jpg

The scale of the project is quite impressive, too bad little else is. A multi-storey parking garage is being constructed on the east-end of the site (where the cranes are).
DSCN0260.jpg

For the record, Ellis Don-Carillion JV is responsible for the construction and development of the hospital. I couldn't find any info on the architect, but here's a rendering of what the project will/should look like when completed.
1-William-Osler.jpg

In Brampton where everything is bigger, but not necessarily better, sits the mammoth "Toronto, Ontario Temple" of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. This temple is about 12 years old and sits across Bramalea Road from the new hospital. It can easily be seen from places as far east as Richmond Hill.
DSCN0261.jpg

In typical Peel Region fashion, the Bovaird Expressway (I mean Drive) is 8 lanes wide in spots and is probably a good deal wider than the Gardiner Expressway.
DSCN0262.jpg

We then head downtown Brampton to see how construction is progressing on the new Brampton Performing Arts Centre. Despite a design stuck in the late-'80s, we are quite impressed by the use of decent materials.
DSCN0263.jpg

The City is expecting this thing to do wonders. According to their website, it will generate $2.7 million in economic activity the first year which will grow to $19.8 million in the fifth year. It will also attract 55,000 visitors annually who will spend about $275,000 on before and after-show entertainment. It's also expected to create close to 300 permanent jobs. Needless to say, I wish them the best, but I'm not convinced.
DSCN0264.jpg

Another shot of the theatre, with one of the newer infill developments to the right. Despite all this talk of downtown Brampton "coming back," it was pretty dead for a Saturday afternoon. In fact, as recently as 8 years ago, I can remember a popular coffee shop, two pubs and two decent record stores (all of which are gone). Hopefully the theatre and continued infill will help to turn downtown B-town around.
DSCN0265.jpg

And just because, a shot of the clocktower on Brampton's famed Dominion Building.
DSCN0266.jpg

Stay tuned for Mississauga snaps!

Thanks! The new William Osler is indeed under the radar screen on here, but I see we aren't missing much in terms of quality...it looked awfully corporate/office parkish, reminiscent of the IBM complex just north of Steeles in Markham.

AoD

Yeah, it reminds me of IBM too. That hospital looks massive. Thanks for the pics.

Nice to see something go up in Brampton that doesn't look like garbage.

The new Peel Court House that was built a few years ago reminds me of Osler a bit. The courthouse was built up to the street, and is big and massive, with some glass and a lot of pre-cast. Doesn't fit in that well around plazas, tower-in-the-park type condos and rentals and detached and town houses - would fit in better in a denser area.

Brampton, aka Flowertown, did one of the better displays at Canada Blooms this year, though perhaps that isn't saying much.

The centrepiece was a large scale model of the Performing Arts Centre surrounded by pretty, traditional flower plantings. A landscape gardener stood by to answer questions.

Babel's inner Liberace was unleashed by the sound of piped in classical music and the sight of a grand piano with the hood up - covered with a mass of bright red stuck-on flower heads. All it lacked was a candelabra.

I asked the flower flunkey what kind of flowers they were. He told me - chrysanthemums SPRAY-PAINTED RED!

The new Peel Court House that was built a few years ago reminds me of Osler a bit. The courthouse was built up to the street, and is big and massive, with some glass and a lot of pre-cast. Doesn't fit in that well around plazas, tower-in-the-park type condos and rentals and detached and town houses - would fit in better in a denser area.
I suppose it doesn't really fit, but mostly for the reason that it's a little too urban for that stretch of Brampton. Still, I like to think of it as a becaon of what Brampton could be....but probably won't.

Great pics Darkstar. The performing arts centre looks quite nice, I like it more than the Living Arts Centre in Missy, myself. Just where is Brampton downtown? I didn't even know there was one.

Just where is Brampton downtown? I didn't even know there was one.
Downtown Brampton is easily one of the oldest downtown's in the GTA (although I don't have a year handy for you). The downtown is also largely intact, but has never had much life to it in the last 30 years as Brampton Shopper's World and I suppose even Bramalea City Centre stole whatever draw it continued to have. However, things may finally be starting to change with the Rose Theatre and a few condo and infill projects getting started/completed in the area.

The downtown also boasts a bus terminal, a Go/Via Rail station, various banks, a few restaurants, the Peel Heritage Museum, City Hall, many churches, a central library, Peel Memorial Hospital and the very picturesque Gage Park. The heart of the downtown is known as the "Four Corners" and is at the intersection of Queen St & Main St ("Main" is also known as Hurontario in Mississauga and Hwy. 10 further north).

If I have this link correct, there is an interesting 20 or so minute video of some of the heritage buildings in Brampton. The narration/voice over is a bit sappy and over the top but some of the images are quite good.

http://www.ibitv.org/

oops....should have noted that if you are interested in viewing this it is only available online for free until the end of March (not sure why but likely their business model).

Last edited:

Back