Brampton Brampton Centre for Innovation | 48m | 9s | City of Brampton | Diamond Schmitt

I happen to think DT Brampton has the greatest potential both for a quality campus and for city-building.

However, I would be curious if anyone knows the status of the flood-protection plans for DT Brampton?

As I recall the absences of desired measures is/was considered an impediment to development.
City is trying to get provincial and federal contributions for their "riverwalk" project which would, it seems, solve (or mostly solve) the flood protection issues.

I'd rather see Ryerson invest in adjacent buildings downtown than in a new campus in Brampton.

There is a shortage in study space for students already, not to mention on-campus residents (though work is being done to rectify that), and many if not most programs have no designated space for them on campus, especially within the Faculty of Arts.

Ryerson wants to build a law school by 2019. I would divert attention to that next if I was President Lacheimi.

Cresford is developing 383 Yonge Street, why doesn't Ryerson University offer part of the capital funding in exchange for taking over the 3rd-7th floor or something of the podium? It would connect directly to the Podium building (ala the Student Learning Centre), and in the future provide Ryerson with a direct connection to the PATH system assuming projects across Yonge Street are built.
I think the answer is at QP.....between Milton and Brampton (split not yet determined) the province is going to invest $180MM into these new campuses......if Ryerson (or any other university) wanted to expand their existing campuses they would either have to raise the money or go ask QP for money outside of that allocation.

I think the answer is at QP.....between Milton and Brampton (split not yet determined) the province is going to invest $180MM into these new campuses......if Ryerson (or any other university) wanted to expand their existing campuses they would either have to raise the money or go ask QP for money outside of that allocation.
Definitely. I'm just wondering if this is the absolute best use of Ryerson's resources. Expanding outward within the downtown core is what will make Ryerson a more prestigious and relevant university, while suburban campuses really don't.

That being said, Ryerson does have a large Brampton student population. So it is not out-of-question to understand why, looking at student demographics, Ryerson would be interested in Brampton.

Definitely. I'm just wondering if this is the absolute best use of Ryerson's resources. Expanding outward within the downtown core is what will make Ryerson a more prestigious and relevant university, while suburban campuses really don't.

That being said, Ryerson does have a large Brampton student population. So it is not out-of-question to understand why, looking at student demographics, Ryerson would be interested in Brampton.
It doesn't matter.......the opportunity to get a large amount of gov't money only comes along every now and then. So to grow their student base (and the tuition fees and operating grants) their choice is to grow inside Toronto....which at this time means with their own money/fundraising....or apply for one of these new satellite campuses which come with a pot of ~$100MM of provincial money and some sort of (not yet defined) municipal contribution. So, let's say, the province splits that money 50/50 and Brampton contributes $50 million of cash or land or buildings (likely some combo) that is $140MM of funded growth for Ryerson.......or they could just try and raise the money and keep their growth downtown?

Latest update. Brampton seems to be finding a pattern.....using property taxes to invest in areas that are provincial jurisdiction. Next week the city is planning to vote on spending up to $150MM of city funds on this university.

For those outside of Brampton.....there has been absolutely zero public discourse on using municipal funds for this project....and all of a sudden they are voting on $150MM next week. This is the Brampton definition of "transparancy".

From the media reports, it appears it is split in two......$50MM just as a direct investment into the project and $100MM on potential shared facilities in downtown. This second part appears to be an "incentive" (some may say "bribe") to Ryerson to select a downtown location.

This report comes hard on the heels (ie. a day later) that the city is short of funds for other infrastructure and may have to close up to 4 neighbourhood recreational centres. Of course, none of those rec centres are downtown and all of the ones named as targets so far are in what used to be Bramalea.

https://www.bramptonguardian.com/ne...cil-to-vote-on-150m-brampton-university-plan/

The provincial contribution to the new campus is not yet known. But it is some portion of $180MM that is being split between the Brampton and Milton campuses announced earlier. Unless the split is is 85%/15% in favour of Brampton, there is every chance that Brampton will invest more in post secondary education within its boundries than the province.....did I miss when post-secondary education shifted from the provincial tax responsibility to that of the property tax?

It is a lot less expensive to run suburban campuses, all while gathering about the same in tuition and grants, so in terms of costs it makes sense. I also don't think UTM or UTS have had a negative effect on UofT's prestige.

It is a lot less expensive to run suburban campuses, all while gathering about the same in tuition and grants, so in terms of costs it makes sense. I also don't think UTM or UTS have had a negative effect on UofT's prestige.
If I were a Ryerson student, I would be royally cheesed if a course I wanted to take was in Brampton.

I remember that as a student at U of T, I was sometimes annoyed at having to take transit across town to get a book at the library at UTSC or UTM when a copy wasn't available at the St. George campus. You could get intercampus delivery, but it would take a few days. In the late semester rush to get papers done and study for exams, waiting was sometimes not an option. On the other hand, the very existence of those campuses meant more materials overall were available in the library system, for a better paper and education overall.

The Ryerson Brampton campus location has been announced, a partnership with Sheridan College. It will be built on the Brampton GO Station lands, at the south-east corner of Church and Mill Streets.

Metrolinx has been buying up and demolishing houses and offices on the south side, closer to the downtown core, to relocate the existing parking lot.

The site will have 2,000 students once built within five years, with potential to expand to 5,000 students.

https://news.ontario.ca/maesd/en/20...ing-new-postsecondary-campus-in-brampton.html

Last edited:
Here's a map of the new campus site. The "Centre for Innovation" on the southeast corner of Nelson and George will include a new public and academic library, replacing an old Loblaws store, a surface lot, and an above-ground parking garage.

But the block between Ryerson and the Innovation Centre, surrounded by Railroad, George , Nelson, and Elizabeth Streets, is now fully owned by Metrolinx and will be cleared for a surface lot to replace the GO parking where Ryerson is going.

BramptonRyerson.jpg

Attachments

• BramptonRyerson.jpg
    BramptonRyerson.jpg
    216.9 KB · Views: 468
It will be interesting to see how much of the parking lot lands have been sold/transferred to Ryerson.

The most plausible plan to get a 3rd track through DT Brampton was to push the station building north into that parking lot and lay track in the space vacated by the building......if that is no longer possible it will present very interesting challenges for all the different types of trains that are supposed to go through (some even stopping in) DT Brampton.

Until 1980 or so, when it moved up to Vodden Road, later becoming Fortinos. The building still stands, for now, subdivided into smaller retail units.
I really don't remember it....we moved to town in 1972....but for the first decade or so we really were Bramalea folks and seldom ever went downtown (or, at least, not downtown Brampton).

Back