News   Apr 19, 2024
 81     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 534     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 1.2K     1 

Rishi Sunak's United Kingdom

I am expecting the UK to crash out of the EU and break up in the process.

What Boris does not realize is that the UK is a UNION not one solid country. England is the main bit yes, but Wales, Ireland and Scotland are still capable of imploding the Act of Union.

With that being said, there is much more liberalism in Ireland, Scotland and Wales now compared to before. People would rather reunify Ireland than take it out of the EU. Scotland is not happy with how it is being treated by Westminster and Wales feels like it is being force fed policy regarding Brexit.

If the UK does crash out at the end of the month without a deal, I give the UK a year before it breaks up and Ireland attempts to reunify.

Boris Johnson ready to give up on Brexit deal

Rowena Mason Deputy political editor

Tue 8 Oct 2019 11.13 BST

Boris Johnson is poised to give up on Brexit deal talks with the EU after speaking to the German chancellor, Angela Merkel, with a No 10 source briefing that an agreement looked “essentially impossible not just now but ever”.

The prime minister appears to be heading for a more explicit no-deal strategy after speaking to Merkel to discuss his Brexit proposals, which have been given a frosty reception by the EU.

This dumbass needs to just accept defeat and show contrition for once, despite how difficult that is for conservatives.

There needs to be a new referendum.

I largely agree with your sentiment but do note that only Northern Ireland is part of the UK. Also, Wales voted in favour of Brexit.

Yes but in the GFA there are provisions for the unification of Ireland. Wales may have voted in favor of Brexit but times have changed and that is no longer the sentiment. I have friends who are born in and residing in Wales.. from my understanding the prevailing sentiment now that shit has hit the fan is Brexit is bad.

Wales wanted to leave the UK BUT they wanted to do it with a deal, not without.

Membership in the EU and its ancillary agreements is astonishingly complex, involving the movement of goods and people, standards, employment and on and on. I would hazard a guess that most of the people who voted in the referendum considered almost none of it. A lot of the anti-EU anger was centred around people with continental citizenship, particular eastern European and those from former colonies, taking jobs on the island.

Reactions: DSC
Membership in the EU and its ancillary agreements is astonishingly complex, involving the movement of goods and people, standards, employment and on and on. I would hazard a guess that most of the people who voted in the referendum considered almost none of it. A lot of the anti-EU anger was centred around people with continental citizenship, particular eastern European and those from former colonies, taking jobs on the island.

The weird part is that those in Northern Ireland enjoy the EU because essentially it unified Ireland without actually merging the two. That being said after the UK leaves the EU it will be a different ballgame. The EU will insist on border checks and as a result there will be calls to unify,

The weird part is that those in Northern Ireland enjoy the EU because essentially it unified Ireland without actually merging the two. That being said after the UK leaves the EU it will be a different ballgame. The EU will insist on border checks and as a result there will be calls to unify,
The EU/Ireland/Northern Ireland situation is certainly complicated. The majority of the population of NI voted against Brexit but the largest party (the Democratic Unionists) are strongly in favour of it and even stronger in favour of being exactly the same as the rest of the UK. In their eyes, any difference between NI and 'the rest' is a move towards a united Ireland. Before the EU there were border check-points but since both Ireland and UK joined there have been almost none and many 'unapproved roads' were re-opened. This is a very convoluted border with roads moving between one country and another. In total, there are somewhere between 208 and 275 public border crossing across the 499 km (310 mi) border - when there was a 'real border' - pre EU - many were blocked and 'unapproved'.. The EU has very strict rules about the free movement of citizens, health, safety, (particularly of food) and will insist on strict checks and that will make the current (free and easy) movement of things and people across this border impossible. There will certainly need to be border checks (on both sides) and this is likely to lead to a return to the violence of the 1970s. The simplest answer would be for Northern Ireland to remain in EU while retaining its (currently frozen) Assembly and belong to UK and put the "EU border" in the middle of the Irish Sea but the Democratic Unionists (and probably others) would certainly see this as the thin edge of a large wedge!

Back