Toronto id8 Downsview | ?m | ?s | Northcrest Developments | KPMB

dowlingm

Member Bio
Reaction score
Unilever North? The answer to James Pasternak's subway prayers?

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/new...or-downsview-site-in-toronto/article37591850/

Mr. Marcil said the company could continue to be involved in activity at the aerospace hub, particularly if its jobs relocate to Pearson, which is only a short distance away.
I always thought there was an opportunity missed when the Douglas facility at Pearson closed, but at the time I doubt Toronto would have wanted to ship jobs/commercial taxes to Mississauga even if there was a long term gain from redevelopment of Downsview.

And with that, the process of Bombardier divesting the Downsview lands has commenced.

The ultimate end result in this process will be that we'll most likely see another condo village here, rather than a proper employment hub. The city cant even attract employment to various other city centres (ie: Yonge-Eglinton, North York City Centre, Etobicoke City Centre, etc..) so I wouldnt hold my breath on Downsview.

Yorkdale is the winner. Not only will there be more people in the area to shop but yorkdale will get to revise their own project with no airport height restrictions

Sad if it happens. Those are mostly highly skilled well paying jobs. Oh well, more space for condos and low-paying retail. My guess is that if they quit Downsview they will quit Ontario.

Sad if it happens. Those are mostly highly skilled well paying jobs. Oh well, more space for condos and low-paying retail. My guess is that if they quit Downsview they will quit Ontario.
you know, I read the article in the Globe ....and while it seemed clear that BBD was looking to sell the lands....it was not clear to me they were looking to cease production and/or close the facility.

They seem to be saying they are looking to maximize/monetize some value out of a site they own....they note the site is larger than they need but they also note they can have access to the runways without owning them

globeandmail said:
The site employs about 3,500 people and has a runway but, Mr. Marcil said, is far bigger than the company needs. He noted that the company requires access to a runway for operations but doesn't need to own it.

I actually was not aware Bombardier owned the entire runway, always thought they shared it with DND and it was DND/federal land. So...is the runway mandated to remain, or is that being sold too? If the latter it must be worth something like $10 Billion. If the former, anyone think there could be a landswap of sorts where BBA moves to Downsview?

And with that, the process of Bombardier divesting the Downsview lands has commenced.

The ultimate end result in this process will be that we'll most likely see another condo village here, rather than a proper employment hub. The city cant even attract employment to various other city centres (ie: Yonge-Eglinton, North York City Centre, Etobicoke City Centre, etc..) so I wouldnt hold my breath on Downsview.

This is my concern too. With the area surrounded by right wing councillors and NIMBY front yard, two-car garage homeowners, I'm anticipating a push for a soulless car-centric cluster similar to the 'Downtown' Markham development. Pre-cast mid rise condos, wide roads, massive public park vacuums that are used two months a year, and street-level retail that includes dry cleaners and Subways.

Last edited:
The ultimate end result in this process will be that we'll most likely see another condo village here, rather than a proper employment hub.
I think both.

I actually was not aware Bombardier owned the entire runway, always thought they shared it with DND and it was DND/federal land.
De Havilland owned the airport, IIRC, back in the Thirties, and DND took (or imposed) a lease for wartime training and use

If the latter it must be worth something like $10 Billion.
It's a good question, but I saw a figure far less than that.

I think some will be surprised at how usable and opportune that factory space is for another tenant. It's perfect for a rail rolling stock builder to assemble kits from abroad, be they coaches, locos or light rail vehicles. You can bet your Chinese made sneakers CRRC are checking it out, they'd have first shot being in partnership with BBD on a number of projects. And failing that, Siemens/Alstom.

There'll be some news stories on this in the next few weeks, I'm sure. The runway is toast, look for that to be rezoned, but the employment category will remain for the extant factory space.

This is my concern too. With the area surrounded by right wing councillors and NIMBY front yard, two-car garage homeowners, I'm anticipating a push for a soulless car-centric cluster similar to the 'Downtown' Markham development. Pre-cast mid rise condos, wide roads, massive public park vacuums that are used two months a year, and street-level retail that includes dry cleaners and Subways.
Never actually been to Downsview have you

Never actually been to Downsview have you
I've been past it many times in years gone by, mostly driving cab back in the day, but have absolutely no compunction to visit the new 'park', ride the Sheppard or TYSSE subways or get to know endless reams of suburbia in Toronto other than cycling through valleys and finding ways to escape in and out without having to deal with looking at places I'd dread to live in.

I've been past it many times in years gone by, mostly driving cab back in the day, but have absolutely no compunction to visit the new 'park', ride the Sheppard or TYSSE subways or get to know endless reams of suburbia in Toronto other than cycling through valleys and finding ways to escape in and out without having to deal with looking at places I'd dread to live in.
Your lack of any knowledge relating to the subject, makes you look very silly from your comments. Or...your comments look very silly...which ever you prefer. Pretentiousness aside.

Back