Toronto id8 Downsview | ?m | ?s | Northcrest Developments | KPMB

Back on topic, I am really wondering what Bombardier's game plan is here. I see no reason to stay in the GTA if Downsview is closed. Might as well consolidate in Montreal.
Bombardier has been looking at divesting their Q400 series entirely but there havent been any interested takers. If they get rid of the Q400, that would essentially eliminate the need for their operations out of Toronto, which would leave Montreal as the sole assembly facility in Canada..

Basically, what happens with the Q400 will determine what happens with their operations in Toronto. They have already indicated they will shift a lot of production of that series to China which reduces the importance of Toronto assembly facility.

You might wonder if this hasn't been the preferred plan all along. I guess one upside to this will be the next federal bailout cheque to Bombardier will be smaller, offset by the profit it makes on the sale. Ya right.

The bailouts and "interest-free loans" that have been given to Bombardier by the Feds have been essentially useless. After they received one bailout they shifted the assembly of the Q400 overseas, while essentially selling off the CSeries to Airbus after receiving another one.

The Feds can call it whatever they want, but it's essentially pure corporate welfare. And what do the taxpayers get it return for that? Well Bombardier looking into fire sales of their properties, selling of their assets, and shifting assembly and manufacturing operations abroad of course. So far it's been a pathetic return on the government's "investment".

The bailouts and "interest-free loans" that have been given to Bombardier by the Feds have been essentially useless. After they received one bailout they shifted the assembly of the Q400 overseas, while essentially selling off the CSeries to Airbus after receiving another one.

The Feds can call it whatever they want, but it's essentially pure corporate welfare. And what do the taxpayers get it return for that? Well Bombardier looking into fire sales of their properties, selling of their assets, and shifting assembly and manufacturing operations abroad of course. So far it's been a pathetic return on the government's "investment".
The Q400 is still assembled in Downsview.

Two thirds ($250M) of the federal loan was earmarked for the Global 7000 program, which is being assembled at Downsview.

Two thirds ($250M) of the federal loan was earmarked for the Global 7000 program, which is being assembled at Downsview.
And in return they shifted production of the 5000 to the U.S. Bombardier talks a good game, but in reality they rarely manage to keep promises with respect to manufacturing and assembly.

The Q400 is still assembled in Downsview.
That's correct, I should have clarified. The plane is still assembled in Toronto for the time being, but will be shifted out in the future.

If this sale goes down, I'm really hoping it is not converted to residential or mixed use. This is a huge chunk of employment land that's accessible to rapid transit and not surrounded by industrial wasteland. That's valuable real estate to employers.

If you want increasingly dense residential uses in the area, you will have lots of opportunity around Sheppard West and Wilson stations now that you don't have height restrictions. You can have both. Stop whittling away employment centres.

Also:

filling in the etobicoke creek valley

Filling in the only major green space in the 401/409/427 triangle? Are you insane?!

The list of top 3 bidders for the site has been revealed:

1) K Asset Holdings Ltd.,
2) Joint bid between Great Gulf and Dream Unlimited Corp.,
3) PSP Investments (The federal public service’s pension plan)

More info can be found here:
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/bus...dding-heats-up-for-bombardier-downsview-site/

I am hoping that the city will take a look at the mess of roads up there at the same time.

Should Allen be de-freeway'ed north of Wilson?
Do we need the freeway interchange between Wilson Heights and Allen?
Do we need Transit Rd anymore now that Wilson is not as major of a station?
Do we need Wilson Heights anymore south of Transit Rd?

And what about the large swath of grass east of Allen? Is that owned by BBD?
And finally should the City/TTC join in this sale and offer the air rights above the Wilson Yard?

I am hoping that the city will take a look at the mess of roads up there at the same time.

And finally should the City/TTC join in this sale and offer the air rights above the Wilson Yard?
Which highway interchange is a higher priority to improve/reconfigure for the City and the MTO? 401 and Allen/Dufferin/Bathurst or 401 and 404/DVP?

I would think that the air rights above Davisville yard would be much more attractive to developers.

upload_2018-4-18_18-11-12.png

But then again, NIMBYism killed the project the last time development was proposed. Instead of a mall, local residents get all the noise of an active subway yard.

That won't be an issue with Wilson yards.

Attachments

• upload_2018-4-18_18-11-12.png
    upload_2018-4-18_18-11-12.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 459

Frankly, the whole area needs to have an in-depth comprehensive study to look at options of what to do with various pieces of infrastructure but i'm not holding my breath with this city. As with what typically goes on in Toronto, the city will probably wait until all the development is in place before they finally spring into action.

Which highway interchange is a higher priority to improve/reconfigure for the City and the MTO? 401 and Allen/Dufferin/Bathurst or 401 and 404/DVP?

Almost certainly 401-404 I would think.

401/404 and 401/400 are highest priority, especially 401/404. The 401/400 interchange only really needs improved geometry with wider turns, the 401/404 needs more lanes.

Back