Toronto id8 Downsview | ?m | ?s | Northcrest Developments | KPMB

It's something like Downsview Airport in that it's a former military airfield with two (instead of one) parallel north-south runways about 8 and 9000 feet long, a little longer than the 7000 feet of Downsview.

Moffat is still an active military installation. And NASA does flight tests out of Moffatt. They’ve leased a lot out to Google. Doesn’t mean it’s closed.

Just in from the Financial Times:

FT Breaking News
7:06 AM (2 hours ago)
to me

FINANCIAL TIMES - Breaking News
Bombardier, the Canadian-based aerospace and rail manufacturer, is planning to sell its operations in Northern Ireland.
The decision to dispose of the Belfast-based aerostructures business comes at a sensitive time, as the UK government continues to struggle with Brexit’s impact on Northern Ireland.
Read more here.​

The article is paywalled. Any relation to the Downsview site?
It will definitely have a knock-on effect to the college at Downsview. https://www.centennialcollege.ca/ab...developments/downsview-park-aerospace-campus/
Those students who graduate with a grade of 85% or higher will be considered for employment by Bombardier Aerospace.
https://www.centennialcollege.ca/programs-courses/full-time/airframe-assembly/
In fact, aviation industry giant Bombardier named Centennial College as its trainer of choice in the manufacturing and maintenance of its aerospace products. The diploma you earn from Centennial is highly coveted in the industry, and as a graduate of this program, you will be well positioned to work with top-tier employers.
https://www.centennialcollege.ca/pr...ime/aviation-technician-aircraft-maintenance/

This will also have implications for the (now) A220 and labour situ in Montreal v. Alabama.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/bus...ast-morocco-factories-in-move-to-consolidate/

More here:
About 227,000 results (0.27 seconds)
Search Results
Story image for bombardier belfast from Financial Times
Bombardier puts Belfast aerospace business up for sale
Financial Times-2 hours ago
Bombardier, the Canadian-based aerospace and rail manufacturer, is planning to sell its operations in Northern Ireland. The decision to ...
Bombardier to sell Belfast operations
BBC News-3 hours ago

Bombardier sale of Belfast operation stuns workforce - union demands ...
Local Source-Belfast Telegraph-2 hours ago

Bombardier to sell Belfast site
International-Daily Mail-2 hours ago

Bombardier puts Belfast wing-making plant up for sale
In-Depth-The Guardian-2 hours ago

Bombardier Belfast operation put up for sale
Local Source-Belfast Live-3 hours ago

Story image for bombardier belfast from Irish Times
Bombardier sell-off of Belfast plants puts 4000 jobs at risk
Irish Times-2 hours ago
Bombardier, the global aerospace group which employs 4,000 people in the North, is to sell off its entire operations in Northern Ireland.

More here:
https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/bombardier-ireland-morocco-1.5119703

Last edited:
Any updates on redevelopment plans?
I guess if there are any plans being made by someone, they've done a good job of keeping it quiet.
Moffat is still an active military installation. And NASA does flight tests out of Moffatt. They’ve leased a lot out to Google. Doesn’t mean it’s closed.
I didn't say it was closed. I was going by the Wikipedia entry describing it as "Formerly a United States Navy facility, the former naval air station ..."

Looks like the plant will continue to make Q400s for at least a while longer, which is a good thing for Toronto's aerospace industry. Plus it would mean that Centennial's new facility can retain some local synergies to the industry as well.

That being said, sort of telling how fast Bombardier has shrunken- what do they have left, just the business jets?

Bombardier employees currently associated with the production, support and sales of the all the Dash 8 program are joining Longview.

The Q400 will continue to be manufactured at its Downsview facility in Toronto under Longview's management. The Downsview site was sold by Bombardier earlier this year to the Public Sector Pension Investment Board but, under the terms of a lease with the new owners, production will remain on-site until at least 2021. There is also potential for that lease to be extended.

Curtis has previously pledged to keep all manufacturing already in Canada within the country and to maintain supply chains for the Q400 series that currently stretch from China to Ireland to Mexico.
Money-losing Bombardier sold the unit as well as the real estate as part of a strategic review that has seen it assets to raise cash.

Last edited:
This is a somewhat surprising development but may reflect how long PSPIB thinks it will take to get the City on side to rezone and redevelopment the airport lands, thus able to give Longview some short/medium term assurances on the lease.

But now that the Q series is definitively split from the BBD bizjet production, it's not like Longview can presume on being able to move over to Bombardier's new Pearson shop if PSPIB lowers the boom at some point, unless a side deal exists.

Bombardier still have the CRJ line in addition to the bizjets, for whatever that's worth. With the ERJs being part of the Boeing-Embraer JV, I doubt that life is getting easier for CRJ sales teams.

EDIT: the last line may not be true for long: https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threads/the-future-of-bombardier.27861/post-1454325

I used to go the Wings and Wheels event there. It was great fun ... vintage motorcycles and others' classic cars.
https://www.wingsmagazine.com/news/wings-wheels-heritage-festival-has-landed-5011
The full-sized Avro Arrow replica, formerly at Downsview, will be on display at Edenvale Aerodrome, at what looks to be a similar type of event.

The article says near the Sheppard-Yonge stop. I think that Bombardier's downsview operation, being virtually atop another station several km to the west would suggest that that is not what's contemplated here.

I'll be interested to see what they are thinking of; NHL rink aside.

They're discussing a mixed used proposal inclusive of the largest hockey arena in the world. That would surely require a site greater than 1.5ha or or 150m x 100m at the low end, I would think.

Not that many parcels near Sheppard-Yonge seem to qualify.

They're also saying they will be submitted to the City as early as next week; which I'm assuming means they have a block either assembled or optioned.

They also claim to have 5B in financing arranged.

The article says near the Sheppard-Yonge stop. I think that Bombardier's downsview operation, being virtually atop another station several km to the west would suggest that that is not what's contemplated here.

I'll be interested to see what they are thinking of; NHL rink aside.

They're discussing a mixed used proposal inclusive of the largest hockey arena in the world. That would surely require a site greater than 1.5ha or or 150m x 100m at the low end, I would think.

Not that many parcels near Sheppard-Yonge seem to qualify.

They're also saying they will be submitted to the City as early as next week; which I'm assuming means they have a block either assembled or optioned.

They also claim to have 5B in financing arranged.
The article is wrong - I've heard John Oakley's interview with Andrew Lopez on Friday. He clearly said it's in Downsview.

I'd be very happy with both a team at downside and the development that would go along with it. I don't think it's going to happen although I don't see the issue that money can't solve. New York has three teams. LA has two. We can have two. It isn't rocket science. Just figure out how much the team needs to pay the leafs for planting a team in their area. I assume Sheppard west subway extension would happen if this happened. All around I like it even if I don't think it's realistic.

Back