Toronto id8 Downsview | ?m | ?s | Northcrest Developments | KPMB

Howdy! Just throwing a crazy idea out there but the roof of the gigantic Depot in Downsview West could be used for temporary cricket pitches! You could fit three up there and use artificial turf. And why not have one with some stands? Brampton’s ambitious 20,000 seat cricket stadium seems to be going nowhere so this would be a great interim measure.

IMG_6243.jpeg

Last edited:
Another idea for promoting the Steam Plant revitalization. When I was in Sudbury in December I saw the now empty St. Joseph’s Hospital covered in a very colourful mural. It is talked about and photographed endlessly!

Maybe Farrow and Ball would want to use this as a marketing event! lol

IMG_6316.jpeg

Just heard from the virtual open-house tonight that using the roof area of The Depot is under consideration and an engineering study is being done.

...preserving elder structures by turning them into acid trips? 🙀

Is this the right spot for the Canada Lands Company "Downsview West" proposals?

Slides from Community engagement #2

I don't think so.

Different proponent.

I don't see a pin on the map for this section of Downsview, we have one for the Canada Lands proposal on the north side of Sheppard, but this is the south/east.

@interchange42 or @Paclo can confirm if we have a thread for this site.

I don't think so.

Different proponent.

I don't see a pin on the map for this section of Downsview, we have one for the Canada Lands proposal on the north side of Sheppard, but this is the south/east.

@interchange42 or @Paclo can confirm if we have a thread for this site.
Ah great. If not, I can create one - the CLC proposals are pretty substantial...

So I take it that Bombardier has opened its new facility at Pearson. Anyone know when they hand over the Downsview building to Northcrest as the next phase of development can’t begin until that happens.
I would assume it must be happening in the very near future, according to posts in other threads, if the last plane left there a week ago.
https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threads/aviation-in-ontario.37388/post-2068008
https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threads/post-your-pictures-of-toronto-here.16317/post-2061292
... ambitious 20,000 seat cricket stadium seems to be going nowhere so this would be a great interim measure.
Is that a real proposal with the money to actually build it, or a fantasy with no money and nothing but some renderings? (like countless other past proposals for sports or entertainment venues someone thinks will be great when someone else gives them the money for it -- esports/concert venue at Exhibition Place, 20,000-seat arena in Markham, Nascar speedway in Fort Erie, Titanic museum in Niagara Falls, etc.)

Some interesting interim activation ideas planned for the runway district/Bay 12 - from the March, 2023 XOXO Downsview Committee meeting (https://44e0cc70-0fba-43fa-98a1-d99...d/4ea6e4_036f4d01879e44d6a24f8cb135a6f33e.pdf)
The Runway, which Northcrest will gain full access to in 2024, is being conceived in two parts...
The northern section will be designated for concerts, large events, and major festivals...
... both Northcrest and CLC are working hard to decentralize arts activities downtown and bring many of these events to Downsview.
I still can't find any sign of large events that will be there. Just the runway by itself would likely be more than big enough for any kind of parade, fair, street festival, outdoor concert event, etc., maybe two or three different ones at the same time.

Last edited:

Back