News   Mar 28, 2024
 529     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 830     0 

Bloor-Yorkville Scene

CafeTO looking very good on Bellair; may this stretch never return to “normal.”

4649C656-9D0D-413E-9423-4A0157AF94A0.jpeg
85354D84-7CA8-43EC-BE0F-FFCB048247F2.jpeg

Bellair as Pedestrian Mews and/or Woonerf yes.

But minus the pylons please.

Maybe a tree or three.

and

Interlocking pavers for a surface!

Yes to all of the above! The other benefit of closing Bellair permanently would be to (somewhat) curtail the scourge of d-bags revving their rented Ferraris/Lamborghinis/Harleys as they do their obnoxious half-kilometre loops around the neighbourhood.

Huh. Worked at that Club Monaco unloading trucks when it opened in April '96 to the fall of '98, then went across the street to the Banana Republic from '98 to '01. Talk about an end of an era.

An escape room place looks to be setting up on Yorkville Ave, just west of Bay. Not sure if there's going to be a demand for it though...

View attachment 276054
Yes, seems weird timing! Not only are escape rooms somewhat passe but are hardy likely to do well in a pandemic!

The amount of empty flagship retail on Bloor and Yorkville is really quite something (110 Bloor, 100 Bloor, 83 Bloor, 19 Bloor, 94 Cumberland, 111 -113 Yorkville, the old Anthropologie space and if they leave the Club Monaco space, a few empty spots at the Colonnade, William Ashley's old spot at Manulife). That's probably 200k square feet of what was prime retail vacant. I'm interested if Oxford is able to lease the Park Hyatt and if One Bloor has anything interesting beyond Apple... Otherwise it feels like Yorkdale will continue to eat Bloor's lunch.

The amount of empty flagship retail on Bloor and Yorkville is really quite something (110 Bloor, 100 Bloor, 83 Bloor, 19 Bloor, 94 Cumberland, 111 -113 Yorkville, the old Anthropologie space and if they leave the Club Monaco space, a few empty spots at the Colonnade, William Ashley's old spot at Manulife). That's probably 200k square feet of what was prime retail vacant. I'm interested if Oxford is able to lease the Park Hyatt and if One Bloor has anything interesting beyond Apple... Otherwise it feels like Yorkdale will continue to eat Bloor's lunch.

A bunch of that is just down to First Capital’s vision for the neighbourhood as opposed to indicative of any broader trend. They are (and have been) extremely choosy with respect to tenants, and have turned down interest from many retailers whom they thought weren’t sufficiently upmarket. And for some of the spaces you mention, they have been in detailed negotiations with potential tenants As it pertains to fit-out and renovations.

A bunch of that is just down to First Capital’s vision for the neighbourhood as opposed to indicative of any broader trend. They are (and have been) extremely choosy with respect to tenants, and have turned down interest from many retailers whom they thought weren’t sufficiently upmarket. And for some of the spaces you mention, they have been in detailed negotiations with potential tenants As it pertains to fit-out and renovations.

That's good to hear. I haven't heard of anything and FCR is really only applicable to Yorkville Ave as they don't own anything on Bloor (Except for 1 Bloor East). I haven't heard anything and I've been confused why so many great spaces, i.e. I think 94 Cumberland is such a great piece of property, have sat empty for so long. The 110 Bloor have been newer but 100 Bloor has been empty for over 3 years.

RE: 157 Bloor for lease
I remember hearing Club Monaco was leaving a few years ago, but I think something changed and they stayed.
At the time I also heard rumours the U of T art gallery could move into the space. I think that was a missed opportunity; that intersection would have been an even stronger cultural hub with the ROM and Gardiner already there too

Back