News   Mar 28, 2024
 243     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 625     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 374     0 

Bloor-Yorkville Scene

Bloor Street Market is undergoing renovations; the butcher/fish counter is gone permanently; apparently they had a lot of waste. I suspect also that Eataly will sell fresh meat and they want to coordinate their efforts. It looks like prepared foods will be given more space. No sign of actual expansion so far.

Oh really, I didn’t realize that the butcher fish monger was being eliminated permanently, that is a shame.

Oh really, I didn’t realize that the butcher fish monger was being eliminated permanently, that is a shame.
They do a lot of butchery (if not all) in the back anyhow. That counter always seemed more for show than anything else.

Bloor Street Market is undergoing renovations; the butcher/fish counter is gone permanently; apparently they had a lot of waste. I suspect also that Eataly will sell fresh meat and they want to coordinate their efforts. It looks like prepared foods will be given more space. No sign of actual expansion so far.

I know they were intending to build a larger, commercial kitchen and do more of a chef-driven prepared foods program; whether that is still the plan, I don't know.

The meat and fish counters were not correctly placed in order to work, they needed to near where the meat is otherwise sold; they also need to focus on the show.

Premium product, custom cuts etc. When you're simply duplicating the exact same product that's pre-packaged for grab n'go there really isn't a compelling pitch to the customer.

In my experience the counters were also unstaffed at many times; likely due to poor sales levels, but that does create a downward spiral in terms of sales.

I know they were intending to build a larger, commercial kitchen and do more of a chef-driven prepared foods program; whether that is still the plan, I don't know.

The meat and fish counters were not correctly placed in order to work, they needed to near where the meat is otherwise sold; they also need to focus on the show.

I used to buy beef tenderloin, racks of lamb, etc. there regularly - I wouldn't mind if they would do as Québec grocery stores do, shrink-wrap them and put them with the rest of the meat, but they don't. And I'm not buying shrink-wrapped fish; a friend who also lives at Manulife did it a couple of times and it wasn't fresh. Really, I'm hoping Eataly will help with BSM's shortcomings, because I cook from scratch every day. I don't do prepared foods other than roast chicken, which they actually do quite well. And from my experience, McEwan isn't putting in the effort to serve really fresh meat, and last time I went a lot of the herbs and other produce were a bit past their prime; they're useless as far as I'm concerned; I no longer go there at all.

And I'm not buying shrink-wrapped fish; a friend who also lives at Manulife did it a couple of times and it wasn't fresh. Really, I'm hoping Eataly will help with BSM's shortcomings, because I cook from scratch every day. I don't do prepared foods other than roast chicken, which they actually do quite well. And from my experience, McEwan isn't putting in the effort to serve really fresh meat, and last time I went a lot of the herbs and other produce were a bit past their prime; they're useless as far as I'm concerned; I no longer go there at all.
McEwan’s meat counter is fantastic. They will cut anything fresh if you request it. Once a week I’m in there getting a custom-ground 70/30 beef for burgers. All you have to do is ask.

As for the shrink wrapped fish at BSM:

4CA8380A-5F6B-47BB-AC31-E8B8A767BE4F.jpeg2FC715EE-8AC5-42E0-8677-15159E502BA7.jpeg

This was taken a bit over a week ago. They actively plucked the eyes out of whole fish to put whole pimento olives in there. Either they have idiots in the back, or they’re intentionally trying to sell off sketchy fish.

McEwan’s meat counter is fantastic. They will cut anything fresh if you request it. Once a week I’m in there getting a custom-ground 70/30 beef for burgers. All you have to do is ask.

As for the shrink wrapped fish at BSM:

View attachment 198387View attachment 198389

This was taken a bit over a week ago. They actively plucked the eyes out of whole fish to put whole pimento olives in there. Either they have idiots in the back, or they’re intentionally trying to sell off sketchy fish.

Well, maybe I'll give McEwan another try. Last time I wanted a pork tenderloin, what they had was drying out in the display fridge. LOL at the pimento eyes!

It looks as though Peloton on Bloor (which was supposed to only be temporary) is out - windows are covered over.

I noticed this application - I assume this is referring to luxury womenswear retailer St. John, and that it's taking Peloton's place?

Application: Building Additions/Alterations
Ward 11: University-Rosedale
Application#: 19 201117 BLD 00 BA
Accepted Date: Aug 6, 2019
Project: Retail Store
Work: Multiple Projects
Description: Proposal for a new tenant fit-up (existing washroom to remain) and front addition (St. John)

Looks like work at Bloor St. Market has been completed: A minor facelift, more space for prepared foods, no more fish/butcher section and the addition of a few self checkouts. I wouldn't call any of this an improvement. No sign of actual expansion.

Maisy I trust to try to aspire to quality; the Weston's I am much more dubious about.

They aimed high at Maple Leaf Gardens; but have watered down many of that store's best features in the years since.

Maisy I trust to try to aspire to quality; the Weston's I am much more dubious about.

They aimed high at Maple Leaf Gardens; but have watered down many of that store's best features in the years since.
I feel like the Weston’s and Eataly will eventually clash. Eataly takes quality and consistently very seriously. The Weston’s take making a profit on the backs of quality and consistency very seriously.

Back