News   Apr 16, 2024
 63     0 
News   Apr 16, 2024
 652     3 
News   Apr 16, 2024
 468     3 

Bloor-Yorkville Scene

A staff member at the Yonge/Charles Dollarama said she heard the store will be closing within a year because the owner wants to renovate. I bet they'll get rid of that little square at the corner.
Three or four businesses there have already closed.

Looks like Diesel on Yorkville is out - windows have been papered over. Looking forward to hearing what's coming for this space.

Looks like Diesel on Yorkville is out - windows have been papered over. Looking forward to hearing what's coming for this space.

Chanel is taking part of the second floor towards the back. Believe rest is rented to a retailer. not sure who.

Here's the deal on the nasty building at the corner of Yonge & Charles according to an employee. A management company had a 50 year contract to take care of the building. That contract recently expired and now the University of Toronto, which owns the building, has now taken over. They've installed signs around the property saying that the building is managed by UofT and have been actively cleaning the place up. The underground garage has been closed for about a month for repairs and they've posted signs around saying they are going to do a deep cleaning on the whole property. Today they were power washing the little square at the corner of Yonge & Charles. Let's hope for some major improvements. Second Cup left because their lease expired and the landlord wanted a 15% increase. Rumours are that Dollarama will close by the end of the year but I'm not sure why.

Here's the deal on the nasty building at the corner of Yonge & Charles according to an employee. A management company had a 50 year contract to take care of the building. That contract recently expired and now the University of Toronto, which owns the building, has now taken over. They've installed signs around the property saying that the building is managed by UofT and have been actively cleaning the place up. The underground garage has been closed for about a month for repairs and they've posted signs around saying they are going to do a deep cleaning on the whole property. Today they were power washing the little square at the corner of Yonge & Charles. Let's hope for some major improvements. Second Cup left because their lease expired and the landlord wanted a 15% increase. Rumours are that Dollarama will close by the end of the year but I'm not sure why.

Good Insight! Thanks!

The corner of Charles & Yonge is a graduate student residence for U of T, I believe - as are a number of the older style slab buildings in this area. I was surprised to see Second Cup had closed, as I liked to sit on that square - it was a bit gritty, but in a way an authentic Yonge St. experience. Few of those remain these days.

The corner of Charles & Yonge is a graduate student residence for U of T, I believe - as are a number of the older style slab buildings in this area. I was surprised to see Second Cup had closed, as I liked to sit on that square - it was a bit gritty, but in a way an authentic Yonge St. experience. Few of those remain these days.
It's always sad when a Second Cup closes. Far better coffee than Charbucks, and far better pastries.

Bloor Street Market is undergoing renovations; the butcher/fish counter is gone permanently; apparently they had a lot of waste. I suspect also that Eataly will sell fresh meat and they want to coordinate their efforts. It looks like prepared foods will be given more space. No sign of actual expansion so far.

Back