News   Mar 28, 2024
 225     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 613     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 373     0 

Bloor-Yonge Station Capacity Enhancement

It's been said that the Line 2 extension would put Line 2 at capacity so hopefully they can ATC it before then.

Given that the extension is already being constructed and no mention of ATC conversion has happened I doubt it.

More than likely the line will open with traditonal signals. It is worth nothing that those signals will be 64 years old when the extension opens.

Why should that be, if it's mostly just replacing the SRT that already just funneled people into Line 2?
Because Line 2 was near capacity already, and the SRT was a bottleneck. A significant reduction in travel time will surely increase ridership.

There's ATC and Ontario line (at least between Pape and Yonge) will both serve to alleviate the pressure. But if neither is available until after Line 2 opens, then it could get interesting. The second platform at Yonge would help a bit if that station becomes a bottleneck, but that could also not be open then either.

New tender out for Demolition of 4 buildings related to this project:

1668617077286.png

1668617099362.png

Funding secured...

Funding secured...

Wow, only about 3½ years since François-Philippe Champagne, Minister of Infrastructure and Communities; along with Jean Yip, Member of Parliament for ScarboroughAgincourt; the Honourable Caroline Mulroney, Ontario Minister of Transportation; the Honourable Kinga Surma, Associate Minister of Transportation (GTA); the Honourable Laurie Scott, Ontario Minister of Infrastructure; John Tory, Mayor of the City of Toronto; and Jaye Robinson had a big press conference to announce the feds announced they were committing $1 billion to this and SmartTrack.

Let me guess. No platform screen doors for Bloor & Yonge station expansion. If someone is pushed or falls on the tracks, just collateral damage. Transit, cycling, and pedestrian safety is low priority in this city.

All hail the almighty automobile.

Last edited:
Let me guess. No platform screen doors for Bloor & Yonge station expansion. If some pushes or falls on the tracks, just collateral damage. Transit, cycling, and pedestrian safety is low priority in this city.

All hail the almighty automobile.
PEDs for Line 2 might conflict with a likely timetable for ATO on that line. If the trains can’t stop accurately then not much point.

IIRC some trials were done on line 1 to paint door locations on a few platforms. Wonder how that turned out…

PEDs for Line 2 might conflict with a likely timetable for ATO on that line. If the trains can’t stop accurately then not much point.

IIRC some trials were done on line 1 to paint door locations on a few platforms. Wonder how that turned out…
The Line 1 trains at St George do stop where the arrows show they'll be. I haven't had issues with that.

Back