Toronto Bloor-Yonge Station Capacity Enhancement | ?m | ?s | TTC | AECOM

It absolutely will be worth it, even with the introduction of the Relief Line.

Automatic Train Control will substantially increase the carrying capacity of Line 1, and the number of peak hour passengers transferring to Line 2. Even with the DRL/OL to Eglinton, the Yonge Line will still be very close to capacity.

The Line 2 Bloor-Yonge platforms are too narrow to accommodate all that additional demand from transfers. Crowded platforms means delayed trains, which means a reduction in headways and capacity on Line 2 and potentially even on Line 1. The Bloor-Yonge expansion is going to be critical for managing the increased transfer demand induced by ATO on Line 1.

I don’t believe ATC will reduce headways or increase capacity much. It has the potential to sure but the TTC hasn’t procured new trains on line 1 or 2 that would be required to support additional capacity and reduced headway to 90 seconds as mentioned. The other limit is station capacity downstream. Stations on Yonge south of Bloor have limited vertical capacity to get people in/out quickly. This will limit the number of trains that that TTC can run. King, Dundas and College are particularly bad in rush hours. I’d prioritize expanding those stations first. Mainly because doing the Yonge-Bloor renovation will greatly reduce capacity of the platforms as workers and machinery will take up lots of space. This will in make the existing bottleneck there much worse and there will not be any alternatives available. So in my opinion this renovation should be postponed until Relief line is operational. That or the city should have a plan to shut down Yonge St from Bloor to Front and create dedicated bus only express lanes during the decade of construction (very doubtful that our politicians would ever allow for that).

Well I wouldn't consider Mumbai the standard we should be aiming for.... :)

Apparently it's newsworthy to have a day with no fatalities

That maybe when the suburban politicians may improve public transit throughout Toronto. Then again, maybe not if they don't use public transit, as usual.

From TTC website":

Bloor and Yonge area - survey work, utility and geotechnical investigations
October 6 to March 31, 2021
What we are doing and why
On June 1, 2020 crews began survey, utility and geotechnical investigations, including borehole drilling as part of the TTC’s Bloor-Yonge Capacity Improvements Project. The survey, utility and borehole work areas are located from north of Asquith Avenue to Hayden Street and from Church Street to Yonge Street.
The work will be continuing on October 6, 2020 with an anticipated completion of March 31, 2021. The new borehole locations are shown in red and the existing locations are in black on the map.

Here we go:

Report to the Oct 22nd meeting of TTC confirms:

The TTC requires property interests in/under 2 Bloor St East (Hudson's Bay Centre), owner Brookfield properties * (and Larco) for the purpose of Bloor-Yonge expansion.

This is confirmed in the public portion of said report, though there remains a confidential attachment.

Report here: http://www.ttc.ca/About_the_TTC/Com...ity_Improvements_Early_Works_Property_Acq.pdf

1602855390718.png

1602855422029.png

This is a new image that we really learn stuff from: Note that you see the existing and proposed foot print, and also the ownership division between Brookfield and Larco.

1602855560669.png

1602855588830.png

We also have a more detailed timeline:

1602855687042.png

Some detail (still opaque) on scope:

1602855719269.png

Here we go:

Report to the Oct 22nd meeting of TTC confirms:

The TTC requires property interests in/under 2 Bloor St East (Hudson's Bay Centre), owner Brookfield properties * (and Larco) for the purpose of Bloor-Yonge expansion.

This is confirmed in the public portion of said report, though there remains a confidential attachment.

Report here: http://www.ttc.ca/About_the_TTC/Com...ity_Improvements_Early_Works_Property_Acq.pdf

View attachment 276979

View attachment 276980

This is a new image that we really learn stuff from: Note that you see the existing and proposed foot print, and also the ownership division between Brookfield and Larco.

View attachment 276982

View attachment 276984

We also have a more detailed timeline:

View attachment 276986

Some detail (still opaque) on scope:

View attachment 276987

Interesting, they moved away from having a staggered Yonge BD line station.

AoD

Looking at the property ownership as illustrated above; I'm left with a question; does 'The Bay' have 2 landlords on Bloor?

Visually, I'm left w/the impression that the Larco/Brookfield property line runs through the Bay store. Is that correct?

If so, how very odd.

I'm also curious to know about that tiny little property interest within the Larco section near Park Rd.

I wonder how this will impact the building above.

" The current design has been integrated with developers’ plans " makes me think that Brookfield is considering redevelopment. I wonder if the Bay may just end up getting demolished while they build this then Brookfield redevelops afterwards.

" The current design has been integrated with developers’ plans " makes me think that Brookfield is considering redevelopment. I wonder if the Bay may just end up getting demolished while they build this then Brookfield redevelops afterwards.

I'd hope so - the mezzanine for YB can use a redo as well.

AoD

Somewhere around here, I already hinted at that.............hmmmmm

Right, full credit to @DSC for first spotting this report:

I then investigated further over a few posts, beginning here:

I'm surprised this is going forward. One of the benefit line items for the DRL/OL is that you get to avoid doing this work. $1 billion dollars gets you half of Vancouver's Canada line: we're spending that to get a couple staircases and not improve rapid transit coverage by 1 meter. Why not put that money towards extending the OL to Sheppard and shave off another couple thousand pphpd on Yonge traffic?

Notice that the new platform opens 2 years after the planned opening of the OL, which means it won't come until after much of the transfer traffic has been diverted.

Also, I find it ridiculous that they spend $1 billion on safety upgrades to this station and don't include PSDs??? If you're spending the better part of a decade and a billion dollars rebuilding this interchange for safety reasons, then I would expect barriers to the tracks to be part of the scope. Unless they're planning to shut down Yonge-Bloor again just a few years later. Line 2 is supposed to be done resignalling for ATC by 2029 since the SSE will be ATC-only.

I'm surprised this is going forward. One of the benefit line items for the DRL/OL is that you get to avoid doing this work. $1 billion dollars gets you half of Vancouver's Canada line: we're spending that to get a couple staircases and not improve rapid transit coverage by 1 meter. Why not put that money towards extending the OL to Sheppard and shave off another couple thousand pphpd on Yonge traffic?

Notice that the new platform opens 2 years after the planned opening of the OL, which means it won't come until after much of the transfer traffic has been diverted.

Also, I find it ridiculous that they spend $1 billion on safety upgrades to this station and don't include PSDs??? If you're spending the better part of a decade and a billion dollars rebuilding this interchange for safety reasons, then I would expect barriers to the tracks to be part of the scope. Unless they're planning to shut down Yonge-Bloor again just a few years later. Line 2 is supposed to be done resignalling for ATC by 2029 since the SSE will be ATC-only.

Your assertions here are not correct.

The report itself notes, and it is not the first; that a Relief Line/OL is insufficient to relieve congestion at Bloor-Yonge.

At best, if it arrived first, it defers slightly the point of terminal congestion.

However, where do you get the idea that the O/L will be up first?

I find it highly unlikely the O/L (should that go forward) will be up and running before 2030.

Finally, how do you know that Platform Edge Doors are not part of the design?

Back