Toronto Bloor-Yonge Station Capacity Enhancement | ?m | ?s | TTC | AECOM

This Bloor Yonge capacity improvement is great for Line 2 as EB trains get a new platform. Line 1 however will still experience the exact same dwelling issues. A wider platform isn't going to change anything

This Bloor Yonge capacity improvement is great for Line 2 as EB trains get a new platform. Line 1 however will still experience the exact same dwelling issues. A wider platform isn't going to change anything

It may even make it worse. With two platforms, a pinch point at Yonge will be eliminated meaning they can run another train or two and not worry about dwell times. It lulls people into a false sense of security.

Why would this get funded by the federal government ahead of some commitment to the RL or the Ontario line or does it reflect (as many here have commented) that there is nothing clear to commit to yet?

Why would this get funded by the federal government ahead of some commitment to the RL or the Ontario line or does it reflect (as many here have commented) that there is nothing clear to commit to yet?

I think these plans are a little further ahead. Politically speaking, they're certainly projects that have the least to do with the Provincial Government, at least in terms of perception.

Cause Trudeau is handing out cookies before the election. We have no idea if the plans will follow through if there is a change in government.

If the station were expanded a few decades ago, both platform levels of Bloor-Yonge station could have been Spanish solution (note Atlanta's Five Points station for example).

They thought about it I believe but the amount of work involved would have meant the station would be closed for months. It was not an ideal solution and was abandoned. That's why part of the metal pillars are gone between the tracks. They opened up the station to do work and limited the scale.

They thought about it I believe but the amount of work involved would have meant the station would be closed for months. It was not an ideal solution and was abandoned. That's why part of the metal pillars are gone between the tracks. They opened up the station to do work and limited the scale.
You would have to build a platform separate from the existing (under Yonge), so that construction can progress with the line fully open. Closure of Yonge St. could be accommodated onto Church. Ideally, I would like to know if the SB platform could be built above the Bloor Line. This still requires work on improving the Bloor Line platform and passenger movements, but it solve the Yonge one.

You would have to build a platform separate from the existing (under Yonge), so that construction can progress with the line fully open. Closure of Yonge St. could be accommodated onto Church. Ideally, I would like to know if the SB platform could be built above the Bloor Line. This still requires work on improving the Bloor Line platform and passenger movements, but it solve the Yonge one.

View attachment 200839

That's why it would have taken so long. The underpinning required would have meant that the station would need to close to do work. It could have been done but it would have meant a full closure for months.

That's why it would have taken so long. The underpinning required would have meant that the station would need to close to do work. It could have been done but it would have meant a full closure for months.
Are they not widening the platform on the Bloor line now?
That would mean the Yonge line needs to be closed no matter what improvements are done.
I'm suggesting widening of the Bloor Line station similar to what they are now proposing, and solving Yonge Line with a separate platform for South Bound.

Are they not widening the platform on the Bloor line now?
That would mean the Yonge line needs to be closed no matter what improvements are done.
I'm suggesting widening of the Bloor Line station similar to what they are now proposing, and solving Yonge Line with a separate platform for South Bound.

They are not 'widening' the platform as such. They are widening the mezzanines which act as both a holding areas for passengers, and the through point between the two lines.

Worth saying, this may positively effect dwell times in any number of ways..............one of which is to allow those exiting line 1 to line 2 much faster throughput.

Another is that the new line 2 platform means that passengers will arrive at the Line 1 platform across a larger area, more equally spreading the load.

Finally the project may include (last I heard no final decision had been made) platform edge doors.

Another is that the new line 2 platform means that passengers will arrive at the Line 1 platform across a larger area, more equally spreading the load.

I read that as spreading the herd. Maybe we can save money by hiring sheep dogs. Y'know, to nip at people that stray out of line.

They are not 'widening' the platform as such. They are widening the mezzanines which act as both a holding areas for passengers, and the through point between the two lines.

Worth saying, this may positively effect dwell times in any number of ways..............one of which is to allow those exiting line 1 to line 2 much faster throughput.

Finally the project may include (last I heard no final decision had been made) platform edge doors.
A new Line 2 platform solves the problem of having people from waiting at the bottom of the stairs while people are still on the stairs/escalators. It will definitely improve safety. Once those riders arrive on the current Line 1 platforms, nothing changes. It just improves the transfer time. You'll still wait behind the people already waiting. The platform is already filled with people in rush hour. The Line 1 trains will arrive with the same number of people disembarking. The dwell time will be exactly the same as before. The staton simply have more capacity to hold riders which may be helpful if trains run closer with ATO.

If they really want to improve dwell time, the should simply buy trains with 10 sets of doors per car instead of the current 8 sets of doors per car. This will not work if the build the platform screen doors for the current configuration.

They should "do a Berri-UQAM" in Toronto of markings on the floor, the spots for where people must wait (to the side of the doors) to let exiting passengers exit faster. It is not 100% but may save 3-to-5 seconds per exiting passenger. All that builds up to slight extra capacity which is easier with the slightly enlarged station area.

Back