Toronto Bloor-Yonge Station Capacity Enhancement | ?m | ?s | TTC | AECOM

An update from the Major Projects Report to next weeks' TTC meeting.

* Crossposted to TTC Other Items *

1695216132363.png

1695216179005.png

1695216203026.png

1695216228415.png

@Richard White you asked to be linked to this thread.

I noticed 69 Bloor East, the CPA building adjacent to 81 Bloor East, is being gutted. Is that part of this project too or something else?

Something else as far as I know.

Reactions: rbt
why is this going to take more than 10 years to complete!?

The vast majority of the work will be done in six years, 2024-2030. But there are some finishing bits that my add time, and contingency has been allotted.

I think its a bit excessive; but in fairness its a very complex project.

The entire station will remain open and operating the entire time.

Hudson's Bay Centre will also operate the entire time.

The latter has key systems that must be relocated before any significant work on the station itself can commence.

There are lots of structural complexities and multiple overlapping sites within the project.

If they could close the entire station down (no trains passing through) it would be done in 3 years.,

But they can't.

A report to next week's meeting of the TTC concerns approving the construction agreement for a new chiller facility for the HBC complex.

The current location is in the way of the station expansion footprint and the new facility must be constructed first, before the existing one can be decommissioned in service of this project.

From the above:

1700174040600.png

New chiller is under the current bank bunker........ maybe.....maybe....

Update on this one from the Major Projects Report on next week's TTC Agenda.

Slippage has begun.

One item that is clearly not the TTC's fault, and that I'm prepared to call unacceptable. A property owner appealed the expropriation of their site, not the compensation, but the necessity of the taking.

The hearing on that was back in early July.

According the report below the TTC is still waiting on the written decision almost five months later.

From the above:

1701388575288.png

1701388618559.png

Request for Proposals Issued to Shortlisted Teams for TTC’s Bloor-Yonge Capacity Improvements Project

March 5, 2024

The TTC has released a Request for Proposals (RFP) for the Bloor-Yonge Capacity Improvements project (BYCI). This project will significantly expand and rehabilitate the existing subway station to improve efficiency and capacity and reduce overcrowding during rush hours.

Three teams were shortlisted through a Request for Pre-qualification (RFPQ) process conducted last year and are now invited to respond to the RFP. The teams are:

• Bloor-Yonge Crossline Partners

o Team Lead - Aecon Infrastructure Management Inc.

• EllisDon-Barnard Joint Venture, a joint venture between EllisDon Civil Ltd. and Barnard Constructors of Canada LP

o Team Lead - EllisDon Civil Ltd.

• Kenaidan Murphy Joint Venture, a joint venture between Kenaidan Infrastructure Ltd and Murphy Infrastructure Inc

o Team Lead - Kenaidan Infrastructure Ltd.

The total cost for the Bloor-Yonge Station Capacity Improvements project is currently estimated at $1.5 billion, to be funded jointly by the City of Toronto, the Government of Ontario and the Government of Canada. Work will include the construction of a second platform on Line 2 for eastbound service, an expansion of the Line 1 northbound and southbound platforms, new elevators, escalators and stairs, and the construction of a new accessible entrance and exit on the south side of Bloor Street East.

“Efficient public transit helps make life more affordable, makes commutes more convenient, reduces greenhouse gas emissions, and helps fight climate change,” said the Honourable Sean Fraser, Minister of Housing, Infrastructure and Communities. “We are proud to support the Bloor-Yonge expansion that will do just that in the GTHA.”

“The expansion of Bloor-Yonge station is part of Ontario’s $80 billion investment in public transit—the largest expansion in Canadian history,” said Prabmeet Sarkaria, Minister of Transportation. “Working with the City of Toronto, Premier Ford and our government will continue to invest in public transit to make life more convenient and affordable for families, supporting economic growth for decades to come.”

“I am pleased to see the expansion of Bloor-Yonge Station moving forward, as we work to ensure that public transit infrastructure keeps up with the pace of growth,” said Toronto Mayor Olivia Chow. “I am grateful for the support of all levels of government in this project, as we continue to work towards a reliable, accessible, safe, and modern transit system now and in the future.”

“Bloor-Yonge Station is one of the busiest stations in the TTC’s network, and this project will significantly renovate and expand the station,” said TTC Chair Jamaal Myers. “I look forward to the proposals that will be put forward by the teams, as we work to expand the station to grow ridership and ensure we have reliable public transit for the riders who use it every day.”

The teams will submit their proposals later this year, and the TTC expects to award the contract by the end of 2024. Construction is expected to begin in 2026.

Once complete, this project will increase the station’s capacity and accessibility. These improvements will enable more Greater Toronto and Hamilton Area (GTHA) residents to use public transit to get to and from their destinations, reduce gridlock on our roads, and help the TTC accommodate a projected growth in ridership. More information is available atwww.ttc.ca/blooryonge.

Attachments

• 1712266422379.png
    1712266422379.png
    34.8 KB · Views: 7

Back