1K     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 570     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 874     0 

Bloor Street West Bike Lanes

Old lines are out, ready for new lines to go in. Tonight:
IMG_20200804_202632.jpg

Lowest bidder... paint. Instead of raising the cycle lane to be level with the sidewalk.
Of course, raising the bike lane to level of sidewalk is safer BUT is MUCH more expensive and complicate as they need to relocate all the street drains and probably re-slope the roadway. Not things that can be done fast! If you want bike lanes NOW (as I certainly do) you had best not hold out for 'perfect' as that is going to lead to nothing being done at all. (Painted lines for bikes or other things can also be adjusted if they turn out to be poorly placed, once you rebuild a road it will not be changed for decades.)

An update since a lot of the work has been completed now. There are still gaps from Lansdowne to Indian Road due to impending hydro work (project page is here). It looks like they're in phase 2 of 3:

Phase 2 from Dundas St W to Runnymede Rd:
  • Most pavement markings are installed.
  • Green markings for bus stops and bike turn boxes have begun and should be completed by late August or early September.
  • Curbs will commence when phase 1 is done, with the exception of the cafe in phase 2.
  • Signal changes to the Keele St and Dundas St W. intersections are targeted for September.
Phase 3 from Symington Ave. to Dundas St. W.
  • will commence when Toronto Hydro’s work is complete. This is estimated to be in 2-4 weeks. This phase will begin with pavement markings. Curbs will be installed in October.

I honestly want to cry after reading this update; the lanes aren't expected to be completed this year...(no bike lanes between Symington and Indian Road):

Honestly, Hydro is late w/everything; they delay other people's work, constantly.

The appropriate action is for the Board to demand the resignation of the CEO;

If they won't, Council as Hydro's sole shareholder, should fire the Board.

Enough.

This isn't operational minutiae.

This is modus operandi.

There can't be any excuse for not knowing how to stick to an agreed upon schedule (in which they have a say)....ever...........

Just ask @DSC about the problems they caused on Wellington.

Last edited:
Toronto Hydro causes issues everywhere with their unbelievable lead times for utility work. They badly need to find a way to address it.

I rode these new lanes this weekend for the first time... they are nice. A shocking difference in ride quality from before, especially further west near high park where vehicle speeds are much higher on Bloor.

3 months since the last update in October...no movement on the final missing kilometre of Bloor bike lane between Indian Grove & Symington...

Toronto Hydro still has the entire south half of Bloor (and the south sidewalk) blocked off for construction from Perth to Dundas. There's been no sign of any activity, it's just blocked off with equipment lying about. Possible they've dragged their feet so much that it's now too cold for them to finish whatever they were up to. At any rate, no bike lanes until they finally finish.

3 months since the last update in October...no movement on the final missing kilometre of Bloor bike lane between Indian Grove & Symington...
The bike lane is complete in the Indian Grove area, it's only the Dundas West to Symington stretch that isn't complete. I thought I heard here somewhere that that stretch wouldn't be done until mid to late 2021 or something.

Back