News   Apr 19, 2024
 382     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 706     3 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 744     1 

Bloor Street West Bike Lanes

I’m baffled as to why they are not doing one at the Spadina intersection as well, or anywhere along the extension (unless I’m mistaken).
St George is along the planned reconstruction area of Bloor St from Spadina to Avenue Rd, and is the only intersecting bike lane. Spadina doesn't have bike lanes so has no reason to be "protected".

The extension is being done without any road reconstruction, which is required to install protected intersections.

35% of parking retained; I consider than a reasonable reduction.
I agree with that assessment, but also would like to note for the record that the on-street parking to be retained depends on the section:

Shaw to Dufferin: 35% retained
Dufferin to St Helens: 45% retained
St Helens to Dundas W: no existing on-street parking, some may be added
Dundas W to Clendenan (west side of High Park): 75% retained
Clendenan to Runnymede: 70% retained

This project (and its Danforth counterpart) will be a real litmus test of Tory’s commitment to Vision Zero.

His non-support would of course kill the project, so I’m fascinated to see if he does the right thing here.
Yeah I would not put much faith in Tory on Vision Zero based on past evidence, as well as his opposition to making Yonge St north of Sheppard anything less than a highway for 905ers, but hopefully I'm wrong.

Looks nice....until the city or some utility company rips it up in less than 3 months as per City of Toronto typical standards.

It doesn't look cast in place, though. That means that all a utility has to do is to move the curbs and then lift them back into place once they're done.

I don't trust that utilities will get it right every time, but it does make compliance easier and therefore more likely.

More concrete is a much-welcome improvement!

This is a really important upgrade — I drove past them this eve (they all appear to be now more or less in place), and they’re at a bunch of spots where drivers were often parking and blocking the cycle tracks or taking turns way too fast and endangering cyclists via right hooks. Good to see this type of intervention; it’s the kind of design detail that the City very often gets wrong (though I have to wonder why it took so long but, alas, Toronto).

Reactions: max

This is a great addition! Would have been a nice spot for some greenery though... as a comment on that tweet mentioned - hopefully they'll look into some attractive planters.

Still very disappointed with the lane on the north side of Bloor... practically nothing added for safety (not even bollards at a bare minimum). Especially with the amount of retail in this area that lane is barely ever car free.

Back