News   Apr 24, 2024
 830     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 547     0 

Bloor/Gladstone Library Branch Reopens July 23

Benc7

Member Bio
Reaction score
I couldn't find an exisitng thread for this. At long last, this beauty reopens!:)

"Please join Toronto Public Library as we proudly reopen the Bloor/Gladstone Branch on Thursday, July 23.

This historic gem is now bigger and modernized:
• A completely renovated historic facility with a modern addition
• A 9,000 square foot addition providing a striking street presence
• Longer hours: Now opening 9 a.m. Monday to Friday
• Complete barrier-free accessibility, express check-in and check-out
• A new Le@rning Centre, 44 computers throughout the branch, Wi-Fi Internet access
• Almost 70,000 new books, CDs, magazines and DVDs
• Reading lounges for adults and children and a vibrant teen zone
• Bookable meeting room and four group study rooms
• A new environmentally-friendly, partial green roof, expanded outdoor landscaping, an outdoor reading garden, 19 new trees to the site

We hope to see you at the opening:
Date: Thurs. July 23, 2009.
Time: Doors open at 12 Noon.
Address: 1101 Bloor St. West (at Dufferin)"

The TPL is probably the only municipally-run service left in Toronto that could serve as a model to the rest of the world. If we let it follow the same path as the TTC (i.e. let it go down the drain), I will feel the same sadness that Marlon Brando's character did in the Godfather when he found out that his one bright and well-meaning son, played by Al Pacino, had decided to take a life of crime.

Overall

I love the way TPL is headed, the way its run, and the they style with which they have redone many of their libraries in recent years.

On the latter, a special shout out to Philip H. Carter who has done the architecture on several of the Branches including Beach, Walter Stewart, Lillian H. Smith (as new, not a reno); and Malvern.

As far as I'm concerned, every time he touches a library, it gets better.

On that note, I have to say, at first blush, I'm not enamored with this particular Branch design (Bloor/Gladstone). I'm sure it will be much larger, and more functional etc.; but this is a case where I think the addition is more stand-offish with than complimentary to the original branch. At least from the renders. I reserve the right to change my mind after someone post's pics! :p

On the broader question of how TPL is run. Notice that they are expanding hours this year, including at this branch, as a result not of new funding, but of the efficiency gained from adding automated express checkouts.

Very good.

Of course, I was bugging them to do this in 1998, as I remembered from years earlier, my university using this technology. At the time though they were grappling with amalgamation and struggling a bit.

But once they got things straightened out; they have never looked back.

They, along with Waterfront Toronto should get 'contracts' to manage the other City departments. That would be a nice and sensible reward to senior managers who obviously have good heads on their shoulders.

Bloor/Gladstone Library-Opening Day

What a beautiful job! Well-done! Some have said there is awkwardness in the fit of the new “cube” with the old heritage library, similar to the old ROM and the new Crystal. But, unlike the museum, all awkwardness disappears once you enter. This is a show place for our favourite buzzwords: “light”, “transparency”, “urban”, etc. The old section and the new are stitched together by light coming in from just about everywhere. And there can be no question that Toronto is just outside; every window reaffirms it. The rooms within are large, airy and communicate with each other effortlessly. There are checkout desks on every floor, private rooms off to the side, an elevator, and a meeting room with a separate, wheel-chair accessible, entrance. There are enough computer stations to make anyone happy. The bookshelves in the heritage building are low enough not to interfere with the light coming in from the windows. This is a working, city-library, part of (and leader of) the community it serves. The building, in total, is a reminder of where this particular corner of the city has been and where it hopes to go.

I didn’t spend a lot of time there today; it was (happily) too busy for me. But, I will return soon enough; I want to see this place at night.
Congratulations to TPL, you’ve done it again!

Here are some photos from Joe Clark TPL Fans on flickr:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/joeclark/sets/72157621671092105/

Last edited:

Back