News   Apr 24, 2024
 134     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 284     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 610     0 

Bloor-Annex BIA Street Revitalization

Didn't have much time to take photos but work has been progressing on sidewalk replacement and road restoration, as well as the parkettes.

IMG_20190925_130938.jpg

The City has also taken back some land on Brunswick north of Bloor, to be turned into an additional parkette.

Brunswick.JPG

Capture.JPG

IMG_20190925_130924.jpg

They've also released some information on the Bike Lane design. Happy to see that they are going through with actual separated lanes on the south side at least. Hoping that they'll at least install flexi-post bollards on the north side...

Bikelanes.JPG

Many beers have been consumed nearby. Our urban realm is prettier than it was when i was a student. It would be bad to exit the Brunswick House and puke in a place this well designed. More than a few trips staggering to Bathurst or Spadina stations started in this space.

It's an improvement, but I feel that too much poured concrete is being used for this project on Bloor Street. It seems like a low-end material on account of its strictly utilitarian appearance. They're not even putting in any paver aprons between the sidewalk and the curb. Also, would it kill them to put in some proper ornamental street lights like virtually any other city would do in this type of vibrant and historic area?

Last edited:
It's an improvement, but I feel that too much poured concrete is being used for this project on Bloor Street. It seems like a low-end material on account of its strictly utilitarian appearance. They're not even putting in any paver aprons between the sidewalk and the curb. Also, would it kill them to put in some proper ornamental street lights like virtually any other city would do in this type of vibrant and historic area?

Agreed. Can't speak for the BIA's role in the choices here, I will say the investment in the parkette's looks to be of decent caliber (on paper). But the high-mast lights are ugly as @#$#.

I know that Bloor-Yorkville wanted to replace the high-mast lighting on Bloor and Hydro (which owns the lights) essentially refused.

They seem to be very obstinate.

Given that Toronto Hydro is solely owed by the City I think the streetlights should be transferred back to the City and be overseen by City staff.

This was one of more regrettable errors of the Miller years (the transfer/sale of the lights to Hydro).

Last edited:
Given that Toronto Hydro is solely owed by the City I think the streetlights should be transferred back to the City and be overseen by City staff.

This was one of more regrettable errors of the Miller years (the transfer/sale of the lights to Hydro).
Though I agree with you, the problem is not really that Toronto Hydro Street Lighting own and operate the streetlights (though it was a stupid move for a one time gain of $$). The problem is that the City will not pay enough for THSL to buy/maintain 'nice things' (like pedestrian level lighting, of which one needs more lights). They are in almost constant 'contract negotiations' and THSL cannot use $$ from the regulated side of TH to subsidise the street lighting part. At the moment (for past 3+ years) they have been discussing converting streetlights to LED. Cheaper to operate BUT who pays the installation? It's a sad mess!

I know that Bloor-Yorkville wanted to replace the high-mast lighting on Bloor and Hydro (which owns the lights) essentially refused.

They seems to be very obstinate.

Even just painting the light standards black/dark grey would have made a massive difference, IMO.

An update on the newly-rebuilt bike lanes.

Update as of Nov 17 2019

Bike lanes are pretty much complete. I think they'll be painting some additional markings when the weather holds out. Most of the bike lanes on the north side, and a significant amount of the south side are still simply painted lanes. I was hoping they would at least install bollards but it seems unlikely with the spacing...

Parkettes are also being completed! Bike rings designed through a competition at OCAD have been installed.

IMG_20191117_134628.jpg

IMG_20191117_134657.jpg

IMG_20191117_135002.jpg

Howland Avenue:
IMG_20191117_134539.jpg

Brunswick Avenue:
IMG_20191117_152722.jpg

IMG_20191117_152713.jpg

IMG_20191117_134729.jpg

Major Street (this parkette has progressed the most):
IMG_20191117_134837.jpg

IMG_20191117_134844.jpg

IMG_20191117_134858.jpg

IMG_20191117_134909.jpg

IMG_20191117_134914.jpg

Robert Street:
IMG_20191117_135112.jpg

IMG_20191117_135120.jpg

Nice! The quality of the planting beds looks good, the quality of the interlock looks good, the quality of the finish on the benches appears to match the renders!

Back